Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 months ago

Please help, my college wants to put me in a remedial reading class that issues ZERO credit, how do I cheat the ACCUPLACER?

placement tests are stupid, and are pointless.

My friend cheated off the placement tests and enrolled in college-level courses, I need avoiding remedial courses!

Decided to be mature and take the class. Thanks everyone.

That sucks, but take the class.

While the remedial reading class may not be worth any credits itself, it will improve your reading performance, and therefore improve your grades in the other classes you take. It will continue to serve you well in the workplace, and it will improve your ability to absorb new information and produce better quality work.

Even if you would weasel your way out of taking the class, your reading skills are going to pose problems for you all throughout college, possibly preventing you from graduating. Even if you manage to skate by, it will continue to cause you trouble in the workforce, and in your everyday life.

Reading is THE most important skill for schoolwork. More important than math, science, or any other subject--because reading is an important part of all of these. Don't be embarrassed to get the help that you need. If you're not at college to learn, then what are you doing there?

• Dave B.

"More important" was maybe not the best way to phrase it. My point is that math and science require strong reading skills, but not so much the reverse. Reading has an overall bigger impact on grades and graduation than does any other subject.

You could "cheat" this test by learning to read.

• ron h

This is college. there's no "social promotions."  You either can or can not do the work.  In college, they'll take your money and give you F grades if that's what you turn in.  If you get several F grades, they'll kick you out and keep your money. 

If you're already proficient then you're going to ACE this class with little or work/study. Just do that.

If you're NOT already proficient, then for your own good you take this class and exert yourself to get maximum benefit from the class.

Do you really thing you can fake reading proficiency through your whole time in college, your whole adult life? Be thankful for this opportunity to being yourself up where you should be. With your learning resistant attitude, no wonder you did poorly on placement tests.

• Strega

Then learn to read. You are not a victim here.

The point of college is to learn and think. Not on how to cheat on tests. What could it hurt to take the course?

It's remedial reading. You have to be smarter to cheat the test than you do to actually pass it.

• Thomas

Your "friend" is going to struggle in those college-level courses and will regret doing so, don't cheat.

If you have been recommended for a remedial course, it shows that your college is trying to help you not fall behind, you're clearly not ready for the big leagues. I used to be a college professor (I am now retired) and I know much about the placement tests. Everything you need to know to score in the higher range of that placement test is the same thing you learned in high school. If you didn't pay attention, you obviously have no shot of passing and now your punishment is to take a remedial course. There are practice questions on the website so I advise you to practice on them until you're confident and assure that you don't need help.

• joensfca

@Thomas I did like your answer. You would have to have a many many bad teachers. I really enjoyed college.

• .

You can ignore the advice at your own risk. I saw your gibberish answers before you went anon, James. So you might be stupid.