Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 10 months ago

Why do viewers buy the myth that Triple H put himself over, hogged the spotlight and only got where he is because of Stephanie McMahon?

Triple H was already a major player for the WWE Intercontinental championship against The Rock, in what The Rock has referred to as some of the best matches of his career and what put him in the spotlight going forward, HHH had also already been part of D-Generation-X and 'The Game' won the WWE championship in 1999 all before he started dating Stephanie McMahon after they were paired together for a story line in 2000.

Triple H also put over the likes of AJ Styles, Batista, Booker T. [whether people want to accept it or not], Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, The Rock, Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Karl Anderson, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Luke Gallows, Mick Foley, Owen Hart, Ric Flair, Roman Reigns, Ronda Rousey, Seth Rollins, Shawn Michaels, Sheamus, Steve Austin and The Undertaker to name a few.

So no Triple H wasn't a 'jabroni' who puts himself over, hogged the spotlight and only got pushed because he married Stephanie McMahon.

In my opinion The Cerebral Assassin much like the person who trained him Killer Kowalski will go down as the greatest most recognizable heel of a generation if not THE greatest heel in professional wrestling history.

Update:

Yet Booker T. became one of the most recognizable baby faces after the Wrestlemania he had with Triple H and HHH heel heat skyrocketed when he won. Perfect case of not having to win to go over. Revisionist history Sheamus took Triple H out and won the WWE championship, then Triple H returned to take out Sheamus and last I checked Sheamus did recover. McIntyre was Vince, not Triple H FYI.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favourite answer

Because IWC smarks have nothing better to do than to whine about big muscly men being more popular than generic and vanilla technical wrestlers. SMH

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 months ago

Wow, that is some revisionist history if I ever saw any, especially loved the part where you say he put over aj styles, lol, they never even competed against each other but let’s just give hhh all the credit for aj styles being the star he is today 🙄.

I’m sure he isn’t as bad as a lot of people claim but you’re going a little overboard there.

• ...Show all comments
    • 10 months agoReport

Never said Triple H made AJ Styles a huge star, I said Triple H put over AJ Styles. Which he did.

• 10 months ago

Because it is not a myth it is truth, My question to you is when did you start watching wrestling . If you watched it since 1995 you will know thy at HHH started out as Hunter Hearst Helmsley and was a mid card talent until 1999. He was squashed by Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 12 (1996) and he even while he rode Shawn Michaels coattails in DX (1997) he was still a mid card talent. It was in 1999 when he got involved with Stephanie that his fortunes changed and he won his first WWE title later that year. From then on and ever since he has hogged the main event scene, used his influence to book victories over Goldberg , RVD , Booker T , Chris Jericho, Scott Steiner and Sting. If he had not married the bosses daughter who knows where that career trajectory would have went , but he would never have a stake in WWE, never be put in a position to decide match outcomes and most likely never be the powerful wrestler he booked himself to be

• As you state, that is your opinion and other Wrestling Fans can feel free to agree or disagree. It's not easy for a lot of people to overlook the fact that Triple H was part of The Clique and was in Vince's Ear Backstage during The 1990's before he and Stephanie even knew each other to any extent. When you hear Triple H talk about his Career when he is in Character, he toots his own horn very loudly and overstates his own accomplishments.

• 10 months agoReport

He was also buried for being in the Kliq and partaking in the curtain call.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Because it's true, granted he was top level player, but he would not have nearly as much backstage power if he did not involve himself with Stephanie McMahon

• 10 months agoReport

Yet where was his backstage power when the majority of the NXT guys get buried on the main roster or when he himself was buried for taking part in the curtain call.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

DON'T FORGET WHEN VINCE FOUND STEPH AND HHH HAD FEELINGS FOR EACH OTHER HE ASKED THEM TO STAY APART FOR A YEAR AND IF THEY STILL FELT THE SAME WAY HE WOULD GIVE HIM THEIR BLESSING. AFTER 6 MONTHS LINDA TOLD ENOUGH ANYONE COULD SEE THEY WERE IN LOVE AND IF HE DIDN'T WANT HER DATING A WRESTLER THEN HE SHOULD HAVE GONE INTO A DIFFERENT BUSINESS.

• Candle
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Triple H has done plenty to feed into that myth over the years, so I don't blame people for thinking it's true. As for who he's put over, I'd say half the names on your list were already established when they got around to facing Triple H in the ring. There are some exclusions from your list though, like Shelton Benjamin who had the best year of his career feuding with Evolution. I'd also argue he didn't put Booker T over because, well, he didn't. He won at their Wrestlemania encounter after dragging race into the feud. That's extremely messed up.

Is he the legendary shovel that everyone says he is? No. Has he buried talents along the way? Yeah, but there's an argument to be made that those talents would've overcome that burial if they were truly talented. Punk took quite a few verbal hits from The Game and gave it right back to him. On the other hand, D-X called out Masters for using 'roids. When Chris dropped the needle, they called him out for slimming down. He couldn't verbally dig his way out of that hole. Top of the card Sheamus took a Pedigree through a table like a punk for no reason in a match that Triple H interjected himself into for reasons that had nothing to do with Sheamus and the Celtic Warrior hasn't recovered since. Granted, that was also around the time where people were 'reporting' that Sheamus and McIntyre were Triple H's golf buddies that were going to get the preferred treatment because of their connection. So what does Triple H do? He does what every message board since the year 2000 claims he's always done and buries the guy that's supposed to be his protege. I think he loves the perception fans have of him because it gets him legitimate heat. If he didn't, those infamous 15 minute long promos that opened Raw for years on end wouldn't exist. The guy's old school and he wants to work over these new school fans. Imagine their surprise when he started spearheading a developmental brand and advocating for talents.

EDIT: Yes, Booker T became successful because he's a charismatic and talented performer who had name value and was willing to play ball, but it wasn't because Triple H gave him a rub or put him over. If anything, the feud with Triple H set Booker T back awhile.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.