Do you disagree with any of these statements about masculinity?

1. There's nothing wrong with opting not to cry when you're sad. But there's something wrong with thinking that someone shouldn't cry when he's sad because he's a man or boy, unless you're talking about excessive emotional displays that would also be annoying from women or girls.

2. There's nothing wrong with a man not wearing a skirt because he honestly prefers pants, or just doesn't care and doesn't want to make a fuss. There's something wrong, or at least a little bit sad, if he would genuinely prefer to wear skirts, but doesn't because he worries about "what people would think"

3. There's nothing wrong with a man liking football and disliking ballet. But there's also nothing wrong with a man disliking football and liking ballet, or liking or disliking both.

Also, do you agree with the general pattern I'm hinting at with these statements?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

1. Only sissies cry. Men who cry will be seen by women as pathetic losers and they will have no chance of getting near a woman's genitals.

2. A sight of a man wearing a skirt makes a woman puke their lungs out and going their eyes out.

3. If he is dancing ballet then he better be gay. If he is not then he better kill himself because no woman will want a feminine man.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

1. How to behave depends on the circumstances and things like crying in public are considered gauche for both genders.

2. No one I know would bat an eye at a man wearing a skirt and the streets of Hollywood are full of dudes in those utility kilt things. I also defy to tell a typical Scottish man that a skirt can't be manly.

3. There's nothing wrong with anyone liking or not liking football, ballet or any other legal activity. People are just too hung up on stuff like this. It's almost like we all have too much free time and need to go get a life.

• 2 months ago

Yes, except that I think repressing emotions as you suggest in (1) is potentially harmful.

• Elana
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't disagree with any of those statements (for either gender), but we live in the world we live.

You end up deciding if you want to go to war with societal convention in order to express not standard gendered traits, or worse, you end up having to do this for somebody you love.

Consider the little boy who actively wants to wear a skirt and gets beaten up in school every time he does so. As a parent, you can blithely make the statement that the school should protect him, that those who persecute should be educated etc etc, but we live in the world we live and there is very much the potential that he is going to get hurt.

What do you say when the kid asks WHY this is happening to him? What do you do when he asks what needs to happen to make it stop?

Yes, I certainly agree that pushing either boys or girls to standardized behavior is destructive, but this is rather like telling people they shouldn't have to lock their doors. The kid is going to end up "reading the crowd" to see what is safe, what boundaries he or she is willing to push etc.

For better or worse, kids need to know how to operate socially, which includes which boundaries are reasonable to push and when. This is only one issue of zillions kids need to figure out as they grow.

• ChemFlunky
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Well, he'd *exist*. But he likely wouldn't be sharing his opinions with anyone not within hearing distance.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why has my Amazon Fire started bleeping?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

1. Disagree, people can think whatever they want.

2. I have to disagree with this as well because I don't think that there's anything wrong with it, how people express themselves affects how people see them.

3. Sure, I agree with this.

However I don't see what any of these have to do with masculinity other than the fact that men doing those things wouldn't be impressing many women with them.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Women created that stereotype. You should feel guilty.

• ChemFlunky
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I do not feel guilty about the actions of all women, any more than I do about the actions of all white people, or all short people, or whatever. I feel a responsibility to try to *fight* those stereotypes, but no guilt.

• Stan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

CF, this is serious stuff and way over my head, can I phone a friend?

• ChemFlunky
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

it's moderately typical fare for the category it was intended for.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is okay to put your Coworker in the Ovens again Muwahahahaha!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.