Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 5 months ago

in the USA is it a crime to drink a beer on the street even if you are over 21?

I am over 21 years old, so I could buy a beer .. but it seems to me that you can't drink in public from a glass bottle .. so I have to drink from a plastic cup or do I have to put an envelope around the bottle? tell me

Favorite Answer

Yep. Most cities have laws that prohibit open containers of alcohol on public property. Sometimes it's allowed for special events, but that requires a permit.

Get yourself a Yeti cup. It looks like a commuter cup but it will keep your beer super cold.

P.S. Don't act like a jackass because not only are there laws against drinking in public, there are also laws against public intoxication. It's pretty hard to get a job or apartment when you have a rap sheet.

Yes, most people have laws against open containers and drinking in public.

No visible drinking in public. Some places you need to put alcohol in brown paper as well.

drunk in public is a law i went to jail for it once

Depends on where you are. Those are local ordinances so it's not the same everywhere.

Yes it is illegal. It is against the law to be publicly intoxicated.

Different jurisdiction have different laws so local laws would apply

It depends on the local laws.  Where I live it is illegal to drink alcohol in public anywhere (at home or at a licenced establishment are the only places to drink legally even when you are of age).  Other places have less strict laws about alcohol consumption.  Check your local laws.

It's better to drink either in private or at your favorite local watering hole.

That is not correct. Some cities or states have ordinances against drinking beer while walking (for safety reasons), but most do not have those restrictions.