Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

Which is a better gas to use? Chevron,76,Shell or Mobil?

??????????

• Fred

Most fuels come from the same refineries. Generally the fuel companies all send their trucks to the refinery to pick up fuel and may add a few chemicals they claim will make your car run better and then deliver it to the gas station. The fuel is the same fuel give or take a chemical or 2 and most of the advertising claiming their fuel is the best is just advertising hype.

They all come from the same source...a hole out of the ground. One may have the "spit" additive, one the "psss" additive,one the diarrhea additive, another the puke additive. So which is better to burn? Does it really make a difference. Its microsecond in the cylinder before it is sent out as a burnt fuel is not measurable.

I used to get my gas from Pay-n-Save because they were the lowest price and were conveniently located and it was that way for YEARS.

Gas is gas. If all the prices are about the same then the fuel is the same.

No difference. It really is all the same. They regularly buy from each other.

Let's say the closest fuel station to you is a Dinoco station. You'd think they get their fuel from nobody except Dinoco (or Dinoco licensed) refineries, right? Wrong. When they suddenly run low, which happens every Friday, they might call up their competitors from Axl Rose Fuel, GuzzleCorp, FossilLies or even 69 Petro. And they have no problem doing that, because all those companies have called them up when they ran out last Monday.

The fuel business isn't just a greedy business, it's also a really deceptive business. They pretend like they're all competing against each other, when in reality they're all working together. It would be a conspiracy, except none of the fuel companies deny it.

Stick to "Top Tier" gas like Chevron, Mobil, 76, Shell, Arco, Costco, Valero and you'll be fine. Avoid cheap unbranded gas since they can damage the engine and lower gas mileage according to studies.

Try this: Buy 2 small cans of gas from each. Take them to a lab and see it they can tell which came from the same station, let alone which station.

I BET they won't be able to tell.

This comes down to a popularity contest. I like Chevron better and Shell the least. Same gasoline but different additives. You don't get Techron in any but Chevron, which completely oxidizes carbon. Nitrogen detergent in Shell washes carbon. I don't know the last time I bought Mobil.

There's no difference. They buy gas from each other sometimes.

My older brother worked at a major name refinery in Wilmington California for 40 years, starting as a pipe-fitter helper, and retired as a manager.

He said the gas coming out of that nozzle could be ANY brand.

• audrey

I use Shell only because there is one every 10 feet in this part of North Carolina.

Despite the BS they advertise, there is NO difference between gasoline brands. I have seen the same petroleum trucks filling tanks at different brands of gas stations. I live near Chicago, and the whole area gets its gasoline from two or three local refineries.

The only thing that matters is the octane rating.

I use Mobil because it’s down the street from me. If I’m on the road and I need gas, I’ll go to any station that’s nearby.

I don’t know how much truth there is in gas stations saying their gas is better because it has synergy+ or it cleans your engine thereby giving you better efficiency.