promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why does everyone think Hip-Hop and Rap aren’t the same thing?

If you look up Hip-Hop on dictionary.com and then look at the second definition you can see that they’re the same thing since the second definition of Hip-Hop is Rap Music.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

It is the same thing

• 7 months ago

They don’t know any better

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Who the floppy flop cares?

• Mr.412
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Hip hop is a culture. So technically you can have rap without hip hop but it’s very disrespectful. Also hip hop without rap is real but it’s a while vulture.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

I thought they can be the same thing. I think of rap as the act of reciting lyrics in a poetic manor, and hip hop to be the actual music and beats that they rap over. People rap IN hip hop. 

• 9 months ago

Everyone? No, only the ignorant.

I think

Hip-Hop is lively, enjoyable, popular to most.

Rap (aka cRap) is moody, acapella mostly, crude rhymes.

• 9 months ago

They’re mutually not the same thing. Hip hop can be rap but no way would you say rap is hip hop.

You would never say NWA is hip hop but you can say DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince is rap.

Rap is more in your face. Hip hop is more lyrical.

Hip hop usually samples other music or songs while rap doesn’t.

• Bob
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

It’s all very similar. As a professor of music but also subjectively I can attest that rap music is barely music at all. The same beats themes cliches monotonous bass no harmony. No change really since 1985. Even the image is the same, some naff looking black guys with too much jewerly, with scantily clad desperate looking women parading themselves. No melody no instrumental virtuosity, just tacky reproductions of what has come before. The golden era of music has passed. Now music isn’t even made by musicians, no other industry has been destroyed quite like music. Children and money motivated execs choose the limited palate we are exposed to, creating generations that do not know music.

• ...Show all comments
    • Farzi9 months agoReport

Have you ever heard of Tech N9ne? He's the only ''rapper'' that uses elements from all genres in his music, with his image not fitting that stereotype

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.