maria asked in HealthMen's Health · 8 months ago

What are the best ways to give up smoking?

• Sally

cold turkey is the best way

using chewing tobacco is the second best way

Source(s): Barack Hussein Obama

WILL POWER!!!! make Up ur mind that on this date u will QUIT! ....have some candies/losengers or chew gum......go for a walk...drink bottle of water if u get a craving..........try not to eat JUNK FOOD*...........just do something to keep u distracted about having a cig. ...in time this will pass n you wont feel the urge to smoke*

Sucking big black cocks

I switched to a pipe. You can get a wide variety of tobaccos that are far superior to the crap they stuff into cigarettes. It's harder to do because you have to get it out, pack it, get it burning, etc. - as opposed to just lighting up a cig.

I wasn't actually even planning on quitting - but I had left a softpack of cigs on the fireplace mantel. One day I pulled one out and lit it - and between it being dried out/stale and being crappy tobacco, it tasted like unwashed a**holes compared to the pipe.

After a while I weaned myself off the pipe - which was much easier.

• k w

I had to mix it up, for example, instead of smoking after a meal I forced myself to wait 20 min, and I only bought one pack at a time, and kept them in a ziplok baggy to keep them as fresh as possible, then once I weaned myself of smoking all the time to just once a day before bed, it became easier to just quit, one day I just never bought anymore cigarettes, and I just kept that info to myself...I rarely talk about it.

• ron h

I understand not talking much about it.  It's really hard for some people and bragging NEVER looks good. 

• ron h

I cut back over a couple of weeks to about 1/2 of what I'd been smoking. I loved cigs with coffee and with alcohol, so I had to quit that for a while. Instead of coffee, sometimes I drink a cup of water that's hot like coffee. After goin' a couple of weeks at 1/2, I cut back more--I smoked 4 or 5 a day and I used nicotine gum during that time and sometimes kept a wooden toothpick in my mouth to keep something in my fingers and mouth. While smoking the 4 or 5 cigs a day, I didn't smoke before morning shower and breakfast and none just before bed. After doin' that for a week or so, I was out of cig's and DID NOT buy more, 'cause I'd smoke 'em. I went with the gum for a week or so, actually a little longer that a week when I drove but then I was done. BUT, still, no alcohol and no coffee for a while linger. I REALLY liked to smoke and I did it for a long time. It was just something I did every day and for months, I'd think about it, but I never bought any more 'cause I knew that if I had one, I'd smoke a pack in an hour. It's been 3 years since I quit and sometimes I think about it when I drink coffee outdoors where I used to smoke, but so far, so good. Maybe I'll try one in a couple of years. Right now, I dunno how I smoked and stunk and burned holes in clothes for that long, BUT if a doctor told me that I was gonna die next week, I might go put a carton of Marlboro Reds on my credit card. Maybe.

Source(s): It took me about month. I never smoked cheap cig's 'cause that really looked like addiction and a pack of Malboro's is SO friggin' expensive.
  • patty

take up drinking

Substitution of another activity when the urge hits, sometimes using an oral substitute like sour candies, or even a glass of water, going for a walk, chewing gum, breathing exercises. Know that new studies state the physical detox only takes one week, though the psychological cravings may take up to six weeks. Try not to eat w each craving, as it’s common to gain weight after stopping as a rule regardless. Sense of smell and taste is improved after stopping which is attributed to snacking too.

• Matt85

I smoke e-cigs, it's not a vape pen, it's a lot smaller and looks like a cigarette. I'd even say they are MORE satisfying than regular cigarettes. Of course you can abuse it and chain smoke it for an hour but I recommend against that as people are making the news now with lung problems. I reckon that in moderation- still SO MUCH BETTER FOR YOU than a real f@g.

To become sick or too broke to buy them. I know someone who quit smoking after getting pneumonia and being hospitalized, and they never went back to it. I quit cold turkey when I couldn't afford to smoke, but it only lasted 6 months. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is, so you have to really, really want to quit and stay quit.