? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

An absolutely illegible antique letter need reed in French?

This is a hundred years old letter. I think it was written by a French. Please help read it!

That's what I read:

Veuillez, Monsieur, m'excuser de vous répondre en français; votre belle langue italienne m'est restée completement inconnue. J'ai l'honneur d'étre avec respect, votre très humble et très obéissant serviteur.

(signed by Foucault).

Translation:

Please excuse me for answering in French. Your beautiful Italian language is completely unknown to me. I have the honor to be with respect, your very humble and very obeying servant.

Source(s): I'm not fluent in French so I think the translation is not 100% accurate...

It starts off by saying, excuse me for replying in French, not your beautiful Italian language, and ends by saying, with respect...your very

humble and obedient servant. I don’t find it difficult to read, but my French is very rusty!

It doesn’t really seem to be saying much at all, it’s just a polite note.

I can't read that.

Perhaps a French historian could help you with that