do I need to renew the green card no expiration date?

• james

You must still register with the Government once a year. But not sure of U.S. law. I have a resident card. No expiration date. But need register that I am still here once a year.

You are supposed to replace it with a card that expires, but, frankly, you should avoid renewing that card for as long as possible as it saves you hundreds, over the long run thousands of dollars!

If you travel internationally with the card and return to the US, it's *possible* that the CBP officer informs you that you need to replace the card with another one. You'll then say "I'll do that right away when I get home" and then you of course don't do it. The card is still valid, and that aside, you are a LPR regardless. There's no punishment or late fee or any of that nonsense for an expired card.

Congratulations on having one of those!

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

You should have renewed years ago. Those "no expiration date" cards were abolished years ago & are out of date now. Sure, legal permanent residency status remains valid (as long as you abide by the law), but all IDs need to be renewed periodically, update the photo, etc. Old cards can get worn, hard to read. Why get held up in line at the airport (wherever) and argue over a worn-out old card when you no longer look anything like your photo, etc?

BTW, those old cards are prized by identity thieves. Why make yourself a target for identity theft, identity fraud?

I have one of those. They are golden. As long as you have the I-551 version of the green card, it is still valid. I got grief a few times at immigration because they did not want to go through the effort of writing down the number (card has no bar code to swipe) but they cannot refuse you entry.

If you apply for Global Entry you can circumvent that problem.

Yes, you do my friend.