Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

What are some less known vegan issues such as sugar is made with bones?

Pie crust can be made with lard, some sugars are whitened with bone char, but what else don't I know?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The idea that white sugar is dried over animal charcoal is outdated. It used to be but isn't any more. One issue is E471, which is usually from animal fat.

• 2 months ago

You cant get b12 from plant material.

Its produced by bacteria found in the digestive tract of animals. So any form of b12 is still an animal product.

Its IMPOSSIBLE to be 100% vegan. You still need the meat industry to thrive, even for supplements

• 2 months ago

You know what you know, you can't know everything that you don't know. I've been really curious all of my life, I still learn a couple of new things most days. I'll be 81 years old next week.

• Jeff H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sugar is not "made with bones" but rather traditionally white cane sugar was filtered through bone char to make it white. Raw sugar, which was not filtered as well as beet sugar, which was never filtered, would be fine. However modern sugar refineries rarely use bone char as there are more effective and cheaper methods these days which increase their profit margins.

B12 is not obtainable in a form that humans can use from plants, in it's natural state it is only obtainable from animal products which includes meat, dairy and eggs. It is however obtainable in a suitable vegan form through either supplements or shots which are manufactured using vegan acceptable processes and materials.

Gelatin is, of course, made from animal parts unless it is vegetarian and can be found in a number of products you may not expect it to be it in such as shampoos, photographic film (though that is quite rare these days what with digital), wine and vitamins(even those that are not in a capsule).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bob
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

This is why we are vegan, who wants all those hidden nasties in their food.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This is no longer true. bone char hasn't been used in sugar refinement for decades. There are many good reasons to want to avoid sugar, but to avoid animal-derived products is not one of them

• Kid Mohawk
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Seriously, if 'bone char' was the worst thing about sugar then we'd all be better off.

• 2 months ago

Bone char is widely used by the sugar industry as a decolorizing filter, which allows sugar to achieve its white color. The bone char is made from the bones of cattle from countries like Afghanistan, Argentina, India and Pakistan. The bones are sold to traders who then sell them to the U.S. sugar industry.

• Wendigo
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

the U.S. from the various large meat packing facilities.

• 2 months ago

-A great number of food coloring are made from crushed beetles.

-Strawberry, Vanilla, and Raspberry ice creams are all flavored using beaver anus (seriously).

-Many gums use a secretion made from sheep's wool.

-Altoids are made from ground bone.

-Vegitarian Pad Thai still often uses fish.

• Jeff H
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

In reference to altoids I assume you are referring to the use of gelatin which is made from bones, sinew and skin unless it is a vegetarian gelatin.

• 2 months ago

Veganism is just pointless stupid nonsense. Their parents ate food to sustain them when they were inside the womb so technically, they are animal products themselves.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

What else don’t you know? Carrots hooked up to sensors show strong electro-sensory reactions when cut with a knife. They may very well feel pain.

Tattoo ink uses charred bones to set the ink color in the skin. While there is a special vegan ink, it’s extremely rare to find a tattoo artist who actually keeps it on hand. So 99% of those “Vegan4Life” tattoos are made of charred animal bones. Jocularity!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.