promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What do you think of the new study that found that homosexuality isn't caused by genetic factors?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

LGBT really should stand on two legs and fully embrace the idea that it is a CHOICE. It's a much more powerful argument to say

"I am LGBT, I chose this, and I am happy the way I am" than to say "I am LGBT, I was born this way, I've come to accept it, and now I'm happy the way I am"

Too much fear that LGBT rights will disappear if the C-word is mentioned. Let alone the misrepresentation as for what "choice" actually means.

LGBT anti-science has gone so far as to claim that your favourite foods and colours are not your CHOICE. Nature vs Nurture, environmental vs innate. Unless you want to go claiming that homophobes were "born that way" it really is better to not rely on determinism too much.

• ...Show all comments
    • What you, in your infinite wisdom, consider to be a “much more powerful argument” is irrelevant. Whether or not people choose to be gay is purely a question of fact. Whatever the cause, they don’t.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

2 medical research teams around 1990 found homosexuality was caused by the person receiving a wrong chromosomes. Chromosomes set our gender and our sexuality.

• Tor8 months agoReport

How incredibly WRONG you are.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I have longed believed it was CONGENITAL, but NOT Genetic. This was because of my studies of the brain "software" where I discovered the personality was built up of a hierarchy of 'binary settings" Animate vs Inanimate, animal vs human, man vs woman, heterosexual vs homosexual, . . . There were at least six of these. There is a NORMAL setting, but in utero "accidents" or exposure may affect the settings, leading to some "quirks" and "personality disorders"--including Homosexuality ---I believe that some conditions that CAN produce these accidents may be hereditary in the mother.

• Tor8 months agoReport

The problem is that congenital implies genetic- there is no example of a congenital phenomenon that is not clearly genetic. Quit with the double speak.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

If you read the report, it says that many genes are probably related to homosexuality. Have you ever heard about epigenetics?

• Tor8 months agoReport

epigenetics requires genetics as it's substrate. Further, "probably" is nothing short of speculation. The findings here support that there is no 'gay' gene. You're grasping at straws.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Their are thousands of studies will all sorts of results but most find that genetics are the biggest factor.

• 8 months ago

The flaw in the environment argument is the other animals and insects who also enjoy a gay time. Surly your not going to suggest that a over baring mother and an absent bighorn sheep is what brings out the gay in them.

What ever the driving force, that does not say its now okay to again discriminate.

• Tor8 months agoReport

except for the fact that A) most animals aren't comparable to humans in scientific reasoning and B) Animals use sexual behaviors as a display of dominance / as a means of establishing the pecking order. Humans do not. I'm afraid your reasoning there is intellectually dishonest.

• 8 months ago

It is caused by lunacy. We already know.

• 8 months ago

It doesn't surprise me at all. I think it's probably something to do with the maternal immune system.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

it comes from the personality part of the frontal cortex. That's why some people change sexuality after a stroke. It was well documented just look on google scholar

• 8 months ago

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

• ...Show all comments
    • 8 months agoReport

I can easily claim there was no evidence, in the 12th century, that quarks or sub-atomic particles existed; we did not have the technology to actually detect them. Using appeal to ignorance you can say "Quarks don't exist because current technology cannot detect them"

We know this to be false

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.