promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does it actually help to "burn the carbon out?"?

In high school that was the answer to every vehicle malady- "Jes take 'er out on '95 and burn the carbon out at a buck 20 fer a spell- that'll fix 'er!" Been driving on back roads for most of the past year and hardly ever get above 50 mph.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Yeah, the glory days of 100 octane leaded gas, but alas, they are no more. Pull your spark plugs and eyeball them for fouling and gauge them for wear. Racing the car is not going to burn out the carbon in any car engine built in this century.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Carbon build up in cylinders is not a problem in fuel injected cars. Spark plug change intervals are a reflection of that. You used to have to change them every 25k to 30K miles, not they last 100k.

Really blowing out carbon is no justification for doin a buck twenty, you could just lock her down in low gear and accomplish the same at 25 mph.

• The Devil
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Plugs last 100,000 miles because platinum tips or iridium tips take at least that long to burn up. Conventional plugs may last 30,000 miles, then you clean and re-gap them. You cannot gap platinum and irridium plugs.

• 9 months ago

My mechanic buddy told me about an alternate way to "burn the carbon out' of the cylinders. This is an old trick that actually works. The steam seems to help break up the carbon, which then gets kicked out the

• ...Show all comments
    • M.
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

It's about pouring a glass of water into the carburetor. But guess what? There is no carburetor. You can't pour the water down any more. And you can't pour it sideways either. So I guess it's not easy to do it any more.

• 9 months ago

i wish i could agree with most answers ..but as far as dieseled engine vehicles are concerned they are not correct ..im in uk ..own a garage and we are an mot station ..one of the major checks is exhaust emission ..most people know a diesel engine rev`s much lower than a petrol engine ...mine does 2000.rpm @ 70 ...a lot of these motors are owned by women and older men ...they rarely drive over 50 ...this practise clogs the exhaust system and give a high emissions reading ..most of our customers come back every year ...we tell them ..get on the bypass and drive it in third gear if manual for 20 mins ...if auto we have to sit there revving the engine for 5 mins to clear exhaust

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Old school carbureted engines sometimes did build up some carbon in the cylinders, and running at high speeds for a few minutes or accelerating at full throttle DID help "blow out the crud" and make it perform better. Properly tuned, modern fuel injected engines shouldn't have this problem.

• it is i
      Lv 5
      8 months agoReport

My "modern" engine is a 1992 and I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it's properly tuned.

• 9 months ago

Today, about the only cars that "carbon up" are those in really poor condition, with several malfunctions. Don't sweat it. In states like California, they don't pass emissions checks and are repaired or scrapped.

• 9 months ago

This rule justified some wild and daring driving. It does not apply to modern cars

• 9 months ago

I use acetone and marvel mystery oil....

• The Devil
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

that's what messed up your fuel injectors and has your seals leaking

• 9 months ago

Yes. It's usually worked for me.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Stop using cars. You're destroying our planet.

Instead, buy a bicycle. This will also prevent you from becoming obese like most Americans.

• ...Show all comments
    • The Devil
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Good you don't leave your "exhaust" on the road, but waste treatment plants do accumulate methane from it- another "greenhouse gas". Unless you hold your breath all day you're creating CO2. You're dreaming. Wake up.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.