how long does it take to replace a water pump?

my dads taking a whole god damn week.

Update:

2007 Chrysler 300

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

depends on if he starting with all the parts and tools ready and just doing the replacement or he starting with nothing cuz if he have everything ready then one day or two the most but if he starting with nothing then of course it takes time to get the new parts this and that ...if so then a week should be right.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I changed the water pump on my '98 Corolla in 1/2 hour. I changed the one on my '73 Dodge Coronet in 2 hours. I changed the water pump on my '72 Dodge Colt in 1 1/2 hours and the one on ....well you see what I'm getting at. Some cars are easy and some are hard as EFF. It will depend on what car, how many accessories are in the way and your skill level....not to mention getting the actual parts.

Oh, the cam cover needs to come off and work around all that to get at the water pump. That is more complicated than any of the cars i mentioned before. If you never worked on an OHC engine with a timing belt, you better learn the whole process BEFORE you even touch a wrench. Your dad obviously must be smart enough to know that. This is not as simple as you thought. If you ever get cams off time, you'll be weeping bitter tears.

• P & W2 months agoReport

Its a DOHC.  Two cam wheels turn 4 camshafts. They "recoil "on  turning. Best to take plugs out; there is another 1 1/2 hours to get therm out/replace them,

• 2 months ago

Watch the taking His name in vain. I think skipping Church twice to fix the Pontiac is why the new bearings still failed.

It took me 1 1/2 hours with the Pacifica (V6).  Straight Thru. Your Daddy has  farm to run. Took  2 weeks to do bearings on Pontiac, it Rained a lot-!!

When  you change  WP in a Chrysler V6,  ps pump has to come off, and a motor mount so you have to lift engine with a jack. And, the timing belt has to come off. So, I replaced belt as well as pump. New belt Must be checked and rechecked after assembly, very easy to get 1/2 tooth off. The camshafts "recoil" against you,  have to go  thru another 360 to get it in right.There were also a few "hidden" screws I didn't see in the You Tube.

Spark plugs on same take about 1 1/2 hours, too. That's why I put in Pts.

• 2 months ago

As long as he isn't charging you for doing it, quit bellyaching. Geeze.

How about putting some beers on ice for him.......

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Could be he ordered the part online and had to wait for it to ship & arrive. That saves money but cost time.

• 2 months ago

youtube it and do it yourself

• 2 months ago

Some are very awkward, and your dad may not be familiar with the job and he may not be able to work on it full time. Guess you could do it yourself , or pay someone else with your own money to do it

• Teva
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

If he's not used to doing the job and the pump's in an awkward place it could take him hours, i guess. If he's been taking days, i think it might be time for him to swallow his pride and ask for help.

He Might have a farm to run, i n the meantime. Even if Not, he isnt a slave.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am guessing he has to pray to his GODS FIRST (as the question is in society & culture -Religion & Spirituality). That is how well Y.A. works.

1/2 hour without prayer and a few wrenches and a new gasket for the waterpump.

Ah, it is because you used the term "god damn"...so that is why it is not in automotive repair.

BS. I Dare anyone without Divine Intervention to do it alone, and Correctly, in less than 1 1/2 hours. Best to take 3.

• arther
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

depends on the type of car Its 8am here Ive all ready changed 1 water pump I started at 7.20.

Blocked. U need to Realise UR NOT  the ONLY one in the known universe who knows   HOW to do it.   I DID  it Successfully , the First Time, on the Pacifica. It runs Better than Ever, at 300,000 miles.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.