Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 10 months ago

If an armed man is at my door am I justify the shoot or must I call the police first?

Favorite Answer

Don't shoot a person simply because they are armed. It could be a subpoena officer or a security guard. But seeing an armed person at my door would put me on alert with my gun off of the safety and standing to the side of the door. I would not open the door. I would wait till the person had forced entry into my home. and fully ascertained that it's not a plain clothes police officer. A police officer is going to make it known that he's a police officer before entering your home. They don't generally enter your home with just one armed police officer. I'm going to wait till the person gets into my home but my shotgun is going to be aimed directly at door and I'm going to let the person take a few steps into the home. Before I blow him to hell. I want absolutely no doubt that it was an armed home invasion!

NO. You left out EVERYTHING that would justify either action.

That depends on whether your locale has the Castle Doctrine and/or the Stand Your Ground law. 

• P & W10 months agoReport

Forget the CD. I know guys who got attempted murder charges for it. You have to wait until they are inside your dwelling, gun Out. Then, give challenge, and have witness.

• jimmy

What is he armed with? In my country you can only use deadly force if you are confronted with deadly force.

• Alex

An armed man at your door isn't justification. Being armed isn't a threat.

Now if they pull out the weapon and threaten you with it...now you're in more of the clear if you decide to shoot.

If he is outside, call the police. If he is inside, shoot.

• P & W10 months agoReport

Great way to get a murder charge, I know a few did time when they Thought it was "castle doctrine".