Should we get rid of the electoral college so that every vote counts and conservatives and liberals would campaign in all states?

43 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best answer

I think it needs to be modified but not discarded.  The problem with that is each state is allowed to decide how electoral votes are decided.  Plurality takes all is stupid since the majority in a state did not vote for the person getting all the electoral votes.

Any number of different methods could and should be debated to make it more rational and not have a vote in WY count nearly 4 times as much as vote in CA.

• 3 months ago

ABSOLUTELY, but the Illuminati, who control EVERYTHING, won't let it happen ! The PEOPLE don't elect the President, WTFU !

• 3 months ago

States with low populations would secede.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

I’m split on the issue. On one side, five times in history the winner of the popular vote didn’t get the Presidency despite being the people’s clear choice. On the other hand, the Founding Fathers did write the Constitution to be more of a republic than a democracy. Maybe they knew things we didn’t? Beats me. I like hearing arguments from both sides.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

You mean have more than five states where your vote actually counts?

• Bryan
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

From what I know, I would say yes. I am in favor of democracy. However, I would point out to the anti trumpers that they shouldnt expect that the Dems would always win. Changing the rules means changing strategy, so its not possible to predict how that change would impact winners and losers.

• Zee
      Lv 4
      3 months agoReport

Evidence shows that Republicans would gain traction and win most Presidential elections if the EC were abolished, since hardly any Republicans vote in blue states, and over 70% of the USA is "conservative". That's why Democrats and RINO's haven't done it.

• 3 months ago

Benjamin Franklin.....who last I checked, wasn't a slave owner... once famously said "democracy is four wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner"...

He put it in such terms so that even a schoolchild might understand the reason for republican concepts like the Electoral College.....and why the notion of "one person, one vote" went against our founding principles....which, again, he felt should be known by every schoolchild....

Apparently, he was far too generous in his assumptions .....

• ron h
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

the question didn't ask about slavery.  As gruesome as slavery was / is, it's seen in the old testament.  (how did anyone ever think that was OK?)

• 3 months ago

well you should try it and see if you can get 35 states to agree with it

you do know 17 states have passed a law calling for a new constitutional convention to rewrite the constitution

and since the majority of states are republican, what are you gonna do when republicans rewrite the new constitution?

• Stan3 months agoReport

We are in this for "Us" (Americans) the ones yesterday, the ones today, and the ones tomorrow, and a hundred or two hundred years from now. Moving slowly is the right pace for longevity, and we want America to last.

• 3 months ago

No

becuase that is actually unfair...giving the power to big cities on the east and west coast

• Mark
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Don't forget the Gulf Coasts - cities like Houston, Dallas, and Miami-Dade are there.

• Zack
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

That’s what I’ve been saying. One person, one vote, and the candidates don’t focus their campaign extra hard in certain areas.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

they'd campaign I calif, NY, Florida and texas.   And a few minutes in Chicago and Phoenix.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.