Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 11 months ago

Travelling?

I have a question. I'm a US citizen. I will be in Switzerland for close to 3 months. After, I plan to visit Israel. Then, I've been invited to Romania. My question is, is it okay to stay 2 months in Romania? Or will it be an issue since both Switzerland & Romania are in the EU.

• Orla C

Look up Schengen countries and Schengen visa.

• W

Switzerland is not in the EU. Thank God.

This is confusing. If you do have a Swiss passport, you can stay in Switzerland as long as you want. Romania is not a Schengen country. I would imagine that you can enter Romania on either your Swiss or US passport without a visa, but check on the regulations before you use the Swiss passport.

Edit: Since you entered the Schengen area using your US passport you need to exit the Schengen area using your US passport before the 90th day. Romania is not a Schengen member country, but for your exit from the Schengen area to count you need to show your US passport when exiting the Schengen area. For example, if you fly from Switzerland to Romania then show both passports to the airline check in agent and tell them you are exiting Switzerland as a US citizen but you will enter Romania as a Swiss citizen. When you go through Swiss passport control show only the US passport so they record your exit. When you get to Romania show only the Swiss passport.

In another question you say you are a Swiss/USA dual national. If that is true then use your Swiss passport to enter Switzerland as there do not appear to be any time restrictions:

https://www.skyteam.com/en/flights-and-destination...

Note that while Switzerland is a member of the Schengen area it is not a member of the EU.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countrie...

• Greg

EU does not matter. Schengen matters. Romania is not a Shengen country, so no problem.