should i start to use a VPN? which one to use? and how do you you use them?

i know nothing about using VPNS, so i need a lot of help or instruction about which one to use, how to use one and should i use a VPN?

someone suggested using a vpn recently to me because i explained i was searching for ''inquisitioners'' in the search engine duckduck go, but hardly any results or information came up?

i mentioned i am from the uk in the question.

and the person said my internet could be being censored by the search engine itself or my ISP could be blocking my searches? and so they told me to use a VPN, to get around the problem.

does anyone have any thoughts, help or instruction to help me with this question?

• P

Your ISP can't change Google or Bing search results.   VPN's mostly give a false sense of security\privacy and are a total waste of money for most people unless you are trying to get around a very specific restriction you are aware of or achieve a static ip.  On top of it you will end up with a 30% or more reduction in the bandwidth available when surfing the web.   All that said I've heard good things about NordVPN if you really want to use one. 

If you can't even perform a simple Google search, you have no business trying to use a VPN.

• Enigma

Change your search engine from DuckDuckGo to Gibiru Startpage,Searx.me,Mojeek,Qwant,Lukol, or Search Encrypt. You could install a VPN extension for your browser like CyberGhost or Browsec (both free with unlimited data but just a few servers.) or you can install the Epic Privacy Browser or the Opera Browser that has a free VPN installed already.

• Lv 7

VPNs have gotten a name as an easy way to remain anonymous online, and help people bypass filters at school and work.

however, few people realize what it is they're actually doing.

a VPN, or "Virtual Private Network", is a way to remotely connect to another network somewhere else, and your computer acts as though it is part of that network.

businesses do this a lot to allow workers to access work documents from home. and to the outside world, any websites you access, it looks like the traffic is coming from the remote network, and not your PC.

however, what the average person is doing is connecting remotely to some unknown network, and using that to connect to websites. but what this does is, it potentially gives a remote network, one that you usually do not know the location of, access to your computer, and that gives them easier access to hack in to your computer, and steal your information/identity.

you should only ever use VPNs you pay for, and that are well known and trusted.

100% false. A VPN provider does not have access to your computer and is not easier to hack. There are two types of VPNs and you are thinking they are the same.

I use Total AV.

It provides anti virus and anti malware protection as well as a VPN at a very reasonable price.

• John

Someone who can't use Google should avoid VPN's like the plaque.