Ben
Ben asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 5 months ago

For someone who's first name is John, is it allowed for him to have a brother whose middle name is John?

a) yes

b) no

When you answer, can you give me an explanation?

I do not see any obstacles in using one child's first name as their sibling's middle name.

After all the time we all spend picking names for our children, other than when they are first born, we never use their middle names while they are growing up unless we are filling out forms that ask for their middle name.

Therefore, using the same first name as a middle name for siblings is really not such a big deal.

As a matter of fact, when the mortality rate was high, it was not uncommon for parents to name a new born baby after a deceased child. My grandmother, who was born in 1913, had two sisters die before they were one year old. Both of them had the first name of "Mary" (different middle names). Then she did have a sister who lived, also named Mary. (personally, I think that was going a bit far in sharing names, but it was popular over a hundred years ago.)

My two nephews have the same middle name. No one ever uses middle names out loud except when spoken at graduation, weddings, ect... It's allowed and I don't think it's a big deal.

• Jose

Of course it is allowed.

• blank

Personally I do not believe a child s first or middle name should be used for a sibling. I feel like they should have thier own name and not thier siblings first or middle name.

NO! That's just stupid!

• GEEGEE

Sure why not? Perfectly legal and acceptable. Perhaps a bit repetitive bur no harm in that since most people don't use their middle names.

• John P

In the UK and the USA there is no law concerning names.

Is it allowed? Yes. Is it advisable? Not really, no.

There are no name police.

I have two great great aunt Marys and yes they are sisters. They named the first one Mary, then had a bunch of more kids. Mary moved 3000 miles away (this was before airplanes and they were dirt poor) and they never thought they'd see her again so they named their next and last child Mary. I know, right?

i dont see anything wrong with it