Does anybody know the name for walls that have been upholstered like in 18th century castles?

Upholstered or padded walls. As you say, popular in the 18th century and the forerunner of wallpapers, many of which imitated the damask patterns of the fabric used in grand houses and castles.

Old style.

I never heard any term.

Walls were not upholstered as such but they hung tapestries on them both for decoration and as a rudimentary form of insulation.

• Tavy

Tapestry. Cothele National Trust is full of them.

• Tavy

I know that as I volunteer there, this was what I thought she meant

• gerald

its tapestries they were fashionable and decorative there is one of the Battle of Hastings the Bayeux tapestry

• gerald

yawn I said it was a tapestry I cant name any others can you ? Einstein

Tapestry. You can google and find some famous ones hanging in museums.

Upholstered walls is the term.

Tapestries are hung on walls. They can also be used to upholster the walls, but frequently other fabrics were used, such as fine silk over padding.

Upholstered walls (different from tapestries) are upholstered. They were upholstered in the 18th century, and they are upholstered today. Please, people, if you don't know the right answer, don't thumbs down the right answer.

The walls of Chiswick House, for example, built in the 18th century, have walls upholstered in red and blue velvet damask.

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInformation/Recrea...