Help - when I opened a small bag of flour I had in the cupboard, there were small mites crawling around inside. The bag hadn't been?

opened so were they there on purchase, or were they acquired in my cupboard!! I usually keep flour in a sealed tin.

Thanks all. At least I can be reasonably confident it's not my cupboards!!

• elhigh
    Favorite Answer

That bag of flour has probably been in there for a while, yes? Flour beetle eggs can make it through the milling process and hatch out in the bag if it hangs around long enough.

They were already in there and you didn't realize. You can sift the flour and the bugs won't go through the mesh, or just toss it and get a new bag of flour. It's three bucks, not a big enough deal to raise a stink over, especially if you've had the bag for a long time. Beyond a certain point it's on you, not the store or the manufacturer, to ensure that the food is of good quality, and in my opinion (and my climate) it's anything over about three weeks. Anything longer than that and the other entities involved have had less influence on the food's quality than you have.

I keep my flour in the freezer until I'm ready to open a new bag, and it stays in an airtight container on the counter.

• Verulam 1

Thanks and yes, I did buy it some while ago..... so there's no point taking it back! I'll keep a new unopened bag in the freezer and when needed, it can then go into my airtight container.

Keep it in the freezer so it doesn't harbor any bugs

• ron h

we don't use very much flour, so it stays in our house for quite a while.  My wife keeps it in our freezer to keep the weevils from hatching. 

They are there. Even in bleached wheat flour. They are wheat weevils. Their eggs are so tiny that the sifting misses them. But they do show up when you have the flour in a tin and it sits for months or a year undisturbed. They hatch and then burrow into the flour and come to the surface and shed their skin as they grow larger and continue to burrow.

. All you can do is go "Ewww" and with a spoon take out the shed skin...and maybe even a live weevil.

. When you were growing up as a kid you ate lots of bugs. They die in your stomach.

. They never seem to get any bigger than at most 1/4" grub.

. If you are into brown whole wheat flour, then there is more grubs. Fortunately they do not have a flavor.

Fortunately, the flour companies are not charging for the extra protein.

You could store the flour in the fridge(then it is like always winter season) so there is never a spring hatching.

No they were not in there, pantry pests eat tiny little holes in bags to gain entry. I/ve found them in closed plastic bottles of spices even

Indian meal moths invade flour, rice,and cereal products.Your practice of storing yours in sealed tins prevented this, and they may have arrived directly from the store, or in being stored openly. Be sure to toss it in a sealed plastic bag, and there are traps available that are glued cardboard placards to capture any hatched moths.

You bought them with the flour. I would say take it back if it was a fairly recent purchase.

• gerald

yes they are flies lava throw it out clean the cupboards with disinfectant or even bug spray you must eliminate eggs getting elsewhere

They are flour mites and are very common. The larvae are very small and present in wheat (unless it has been radiated). They survive the milling process and you start to notice them when they get big (from eating all that flour). If you bought the flour recently, take it back.

• Sal*UK

weevils - always store in a sealed container!