Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 2 months ago

Career help..vet tech or lawyer?

I’m about to graduate and most likely look for a job as a paralegal because I need to start working while thinking about my next step. When I first started college I wanted to be a R.N. or something in health care but that changed I’ve time. I went through an experience where my dog passed away and ever since though about being a vet tech but they only make 30k a year. I can make more as a paralegal. I also thought about going to law school once I chose paralegal to be my major because I need to make use of my time and study something with decent jobs and a decent salary. Now that graduation is nearing...I’m not sure what I should do next. Do I continue to work in the legal field/potentially go to law school. Or become a vet tech even though it’s a difficult and low paying job. I have pets of my own and it would be great to learn about how I can better take care of them and help them instead of being oblivious. I love animals!

Update:

Sorry I should’ve been more specific. I will graduate with a BS and I’m currently doing an internship. I like the work but I like animals and the idea of helping them much more :/

Update 2:

Also, I’ll say this...some paralegal salaries are also pretty low around 40-60k but you only make around 60 after having many years of experience. It’s not much of a helping job from what I’ve seen. After getting your degree and some certifications vet techs can make up to 40k with decent benefits which isnt too bad. But still pretty low I know..

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Certificate program is easier,cheaper and quicker vs getting a JD.

• 2 months ago

Personally I'd go for a lawyer, since Vet Techs never make much money & never work for themselves. That's just me though.

• 2 months ago

Well, at this point your primary option is to get a job based on the skills you've developed in your college work.  If the is in the legal area, that's fine -- it doesn't mean you can't go a different direction. This will give you some insight into what the day-to-day job is like.  

It isn't clear from your post whether you are getting an AA or a BA.  IF you don't have a BA, then you'll have to get that before considering law school.  Vet tech is a trade school or community college certification that does not require a bachelor's degree. 

The second thing you need to do is figure out whether or not you have the ability to get into law school.  Get a LSAT study guide and take a practice test.  Do you have the knowledge and ability to score well enough?  Do you have the GPA from your undergraduate studies?

• 2 months ago

You paid for a college education. But now you want to do something that will require you to get a completely different certification, that is low paying... so that you can learn to take better care of your own animals (I thought there was google and forums for that)?

-- are you a psych major? You sound like the standard psychology student and mental health professional. Solely in the field so that you can figure out your own mental illness.

• hello2 months agoReport

I know it doesn’t make sense financially but it’s just what I like. To become a vet tech you need a minimum of an AS degree in veterinary technology then take the exam to become registered/licensed. Most states don’t req the exam but you’ll be credentialed which means more $

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I would vote for neither. There are already too many useless lawyers and vet tech is a physically grueling low paying job where you will be working Saturdays until you're 50 and your knees, back and hands are shot.

• hello2 months agoReport

Then what else would you suggest? Have you ever worked as a vet tech?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.