Repair or replace?

I have an HP laptop that I maybe 2 or 3 years ago, possibly 4. The computer will only turn off it's plugged into the charger. The battery is essentially done, won't hold a charge any longer. But, however, it's been running slowly for quite some time. My boss told me since I don't really remember... show more I have an HP laptop that I maybe 2 or 3 years ago, possibly 4. The computer will only turn off it's plugged into the charger. The battery is essentially done, won't hold a charge any longer. But, however, it's been running slowly for quite some time. My boss told me since I don't really remember when I got it, it's probably wiser to buy a newer one.

I also have a Kindle Fire (my daughter's that she got last year) is not taking a charge. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing is working. Could be the battery, too. But is it worth repairing either of these devices? She hasn't been able to get into her homework apps because of these issues, and the app isn't compatible on my phone.