Since women are equal to men, why is there a social convention that I have to pay for their drinks and everything?

1 year ago

Who ever said that?

• 1 year ago

That social convention should not exist, I agree, but for me it doesn't. I was really surprised when someone bought me a drink a couple of years ago.

• God
    1 year ago

Women want independence until it comes to paying the bill. I never and will never buy some random girl a drink at a bar. I'm not your wallet honey. And what's this crap of "whoever asks pays". That would mean men pay every time because women never ask. If women want equality, they need to pay for their own. 

• Elana
    1 year ago

Conventions can be broken.

This one comes from the day-and-age when men were uniformly better paid and had access to more resources than women.

It doesn't make sense with women pulling ahead, but it takes time for conventions to catch up with reality.

• 1 year ago

because they still control who gets sex.

if you resent that, be less of a horn-dog.

every girl i've dated over the past 40+ years has been willing to "go dutch" because she wanted to get to know me. the feeling was mutual or we wouldn't have gone out.

the point being, each knew i wasn't into them just to get laid.

on those occasions when things turned romantic, we took turns planning and paying. whoever asks, pays.

if she didn't reciprocate asking, i figured she wasn't interested enough to bother with me, things stopped progressing, and i moved on.

• Alesha
    1 year ago

You don't have to do anything. But there may not be a second date if you don't .

• y
    1 year ago

Becouse we always end up paying for it one way or another.

• I would guess that it is because it is mostly the man who invites the woman out.   The woman typically waits for a man to ask the woman out.   BUT you don't have to pay for everything, just arrange for each person to pay their own way, but it must be agreed upon n advance. Stating... Can we go dutch?

• 1 year ago

You don't "have" to do anything.

Women's Equality is not simply a "social convention". 

• Mark
    1 year ago

You don't. The rule is "whoever asks the person out for drinks pays for the first one."