a hammer being used to pull a nail out of a board is an example of what type of machine?

Lever. And contrary to what all the books say, there are SEVEN simple machines. The one that gets left out is the draw string or rope. The most common example you see is the bow string. It is easy to move it at the start but then it gets harder and harder. Imagine a car stuck in a ditch. You tire a 100 foot rope to the bumper and the other end to a tree. Then you go half way between the car and tree and push on the rope SIDEWAYS. You will be able to generate a lot of pull on the car because of the mechanical advantage you get with the rope. This is never mentioned when you talk about simple machines but it is one.

A lever...it requires leverage.

• A hammer with the device attached to pull nails is called a claw hammer, so the nail puller is called a claw.

Lever. Reminds me of the time I would play boardgames with a hammer.

That's an example of a lever.

A machine? I would use a nail puller.

We're not doing your homework. Or at least I'm not.

Lever. And this is a homework question, but in the wrong category.

• David

A lever and fulcrum.

It's a lever.