As expecting parents,did you refuse the reveal the unborn baby's gender to your immediate close family?

• Suzy Q
    Favorite Answer

'Refuse to reveal' implies there would have been pressure from our family to tell them, and resistance on our part. That wasn't the situation. We simply said we wanted it to be a surprise for them, and they were fine with that.

The whole 'gender reveal' thing isn't really common where I live. Some people are open about expecting a boy or a girl, some aren't. 

We never found out, so there was nothing to reveal.

I don't understand "refusal." If I ask someone if they know what they're having and they say "yes, but we aren't revealing it," it's the end of the story. Who pushes the couple into full-blown refusal?

• Edna

When I was an "expecting parent" , there was no way to determine the sex of an unborn child before it was born.

Even if there had been, I wouldn't have wanted to KNOW the sex of my child in advance. What if I had really, really been hoping for a girl, and I found out I was carrying a boy? How would I feel about that during the remaining months of my pregnancy? .

• GB

I know someone who was disappointed to find her second child would be a boy. It did not help her high blood pressure.

• GB

I only had one scan when pregnant, at 20 weeks. Before I got on the table, I told the sonographer, 'I don't want to know my baby's gender before it is born.' Both my mother and mother-in-law said , had the technology been available: they would have liked to know the gender in advance for their own children.

We didn't know with our now 27 year old daughter until the day she was born - I went into labor at 33 weeks gestation, and they did an ultrasound to check on her development and told me she was a girl then.

With our now 23 year old daughter, they did a best guess at 18 weeks gestation, and we did share that information with our parents.

Shock horror but up until a few years ago, it was the norm that most people didn't find out. It's really not that big of a deal not knowing until the birth.

• Catherine

Not where I live. Even now some hospitals won't tell you the sex, but you carry on in your little bubble 

We told no one the gender of our 3 children until they got here. It's part of the excitement of calling and announcing what you've had. My grown children are following the same path. My son & his wife recently had a baby shower. Everyone asked what it was and we answered that we didn't know. You won't believe how many people said...How are we going to buy for the baby, then? I reminded them that you didn't need to restrict yourselfs to blue & pink. Baby's need so much more for their everyday needs.

• John P

No choice in our case. Ours were born in the late 1970s/early 80s. Gender knowledge before birth did not exist in those days.

no...because we waited to find out too

It's a full-blown hermaphrodite. There I told them. Problem solved.