Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 8 months ago

Tips for helping someone with dementia?

I probably have 101 things I could specifically ask about but whatever tips you have in general. Any products you’d recommend etc

There are several good books available that thoroughly explain what to expect during the different stages and what can be helpful. I had purchased 2 when my mom was diagnosed but I later gave them away and don't remember the names. This information could probably also be found online for free.

With my mom we tried some of the medications that were supposed to help but she couldn't tolerate them either in oral or patch form as they made her vomit. We eventually placed her in assisted living memory care.

Best of luck, my heart goes out to you...

Source(s): Family member with dementia

make them a DNR and put them on hospice when they have a major decline

Put the TV is the dumpster, that tops the list. TV viewing is the road to dementia.

• P.L.

Take advantage of all help that is available and try to be patient with the person with dementia. Most of the hurtful, angry things they say are not intended. They cannot help the state they are in. It's not easy.

• Diana
  • Janet

You can get bed buzzers, that go off when they get out of bed in the middle of the night. Alerting you so they aren't wandering around unsupervised.

If they have bad eyesight, a small table-top fountain helps them orient to where they are in the room.

Lock up the food, because they won't remember if they've eaten yet or not.

There are heaps of resources on the internet. The trick is to focus on what a person can do and not write them off too soon.

If possible, they need to be watched at all times. They probably should not be driving an auto. Try to keep them on a set routine. If you let them nap too much during the day, they can be up all night, prowling and trying to cause trouble. See a doctor for possible prescription solutions.