Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 5 months ago

What are some solutions for my yard?

I have a very small fenced yard and I live in an area that will fine you if you don t maintain it properly. I have no desire whatsoever to hire someone to do this or do it myself and I m looking for solutions. There are worn out stone slabs covering the entire area but it s overgrown with dirt, weeds, etc. Ideally I d just get rid of all of it and have new tiles or something there but I can t spend a fortune. What should I do?

I didnt mean I dont want to do it myself I just meant I dont want to maintain it IE weedwacking. Im willing to change it

The least expensive way to deal with your yard is to remove all the current growth and excess soil that is covering the stones. Then plant creeping thyme. Creeping thyme is a great ground cover that is a perennial (only needs to be planted once and will grow back every spring). Creeping thyme only grows a few inches high and loves to grow between stones. The bonus of this great plant is that you can step on it and it will not die. What more can you want.....a carefree, maintenance free plant.

Plant plastic or silk flowers from the dollar store. They look so delicious that it fools the birds and they will eat them. Can't win for losing.

• Ann

Turn your yard into a Xeroscape area. That means you kill off the grass and put in pea gravel and granite chips. Then you can plant some things like cacti that are relatively maintenance-free. Block it off with railroad ties. Any stray weeds that sneak in can be killed off with 20% vinegar (available at nurseries). My sister in law in Phoenix (where it gets up to 115 degrees in the summer) has this, and she doesn't have to fool with much maintenance. The cacti get watered once a week, and that's it.

• bubba

buy some second hand astro turf and just throw it over the top of everything , it will look great and zero maintenance , win win

• ron h

used astroturf is discarded because it's sun rotted. 

Unless you pave or concrete the whole thing over (neither option is cheap) you will always have weeds and such popping up that require maintenance. You say it's a small yard. You need to bite the bullet and spend 20 minutes a week out there or hire someone.

• Bob

A few pots. Some gravel and bark textured areas, maybe a deck. Make it super nice not just to please inspectors, do it for you

You can get cheaper stones at Home Depot or Lowes that might work, and planted something like sedum in the cracks will prevent weed growth and look good at the same time.

• Mark

So let me get this straight. You don't want to pay someone to do it AND you don't want to do it yourself aka "you're lazy". You're SOL. The only thing I can think of is to put grouting between the slabs.