How much is reasonable?

I’ve just been offered my first full time job after leaving college. I’ll make around £250 a week and my mum is asking for £100 of it a week. I’m more than happy to pay my mother rent but I feel like half of my wages isn’t reasonable, it is not as if we are going through any financial issues or whatnot. The job... show more I’ve just been offered my first full time job after leaving college. I’ll make around £250 a week and my mum is asking for £100 of it a week. I’m more than happy to pay my mother rent but I feel like half of my wages isn’t reasonable, it is not as if we are going through any financial issues or whatnot. The job that I’ve been offered is quite strenuous mentally and physically and requires I’m on my feet all day, it feels like a shame to work so hard to just hand over half my wages. It’s disheartening. I’m more than happy paying rent/board whatever you’d like it to be called but my mother never had to pay that much rent, her friends children don’t, my friends don’t, our family don’t. We also live in a one bedroom flat so it’s not as if I’m paying for the luxury of my own room. As well as that my mum also knows I’ve been trying since I was 16 (and my mother told me she would not buy me driving lessons for my 17th birthday) to save up for driving lessons and a car. The highest I ever made it was £1,300 but now I’m back at £580 due to all the things my mother already gets me to pay for. It feels like I’ll never be able to save any money with only £100 a week because of course I must spend that on other things. How much would you say is reasonable out of £250 a week?
5 answers 5