If Boris's behavious is the biggest abuse 'for 50 years' what was the worse one 50 years ago?

What happened c1969? That was worse?

Update:

Do you think Blair's behaviour in the last decade was worse?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jack H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Best answer

Before the representation of the people act, in 1969, there were no credible restrictions on Parliament, so, it wasn't an abuse as such, but clarification of Parliamentary responsibilities...

So, he was referring to the worst abuse since the creation of the representation of the people act...

• Jack H
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Thanks for BA much appreciated...

• 2 months ago

No it's our MPs who are not delivering what the majority voted for to leave EU.  They having been doing everything they can to sabotage us leaving ignoring  our democractic vote. Boris is trying his hardest to get  us out of EU. 

• Biff
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The barrister was referring to the worst abuse of prorogation for at least 50 years, not abuse of power in general.

I don't know where the 50 years comes from. In 1948, the Labour Party prime minister prorogued parliament in order to silence House of Lords opposition to a law that would have reduced its powers. In 1997, the Conservative Party prime minister prorogued parliament for over a week early to sidestep publication of a report that exposed financial wrongdoing by two Conservative MPs. But in neither of those cases was prorogation abused to deny parliament the opportunity to examine an issue of the greatest importance to the country since WW2.

• Bear
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ted 'Sailor boy' Heath signing us up for the Common Market,led to the fiasco we have today.

Decimalisation,in 1971,screwed us big time.

Blair & Bush starting the Iraq war (because God told them to),and destabilising the Middle East,was an abomination that neither have been brought to account for.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No idea, I'd have to look it up, and yes. Blair took the country into a war in Iraq - and that was NOT in my name.

Putting 'what happened in Parliament in 1969' into the search engine gave me this ....

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/tr...

??

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.