Police at my door at 2 am! Help?

so i'm an insomniac and i was in my room just watching some netflix. it's nearly 3 am now. at about 2:15 i heard super loud knocks on my door. i obviously was too scared to answer the door, because who answers the door to ANYONE at 2 am? i could hear men talking outside and i wanted to hear what they were saying more clearly so i went out to my hallway. they began knocking again & this time someone was shining a light inside. i obviously panicked and hid behind the wall in my hallway bc the lights were bright. my first reaction was "these men are burglars". i live with my sister and she was sleeping. i'm amazed she wasn't woken up by the continuous knocks (they went on for at least 2-3 minutes). i ran past the doorway and into her room when i thought they were gone. i few minutes later we hid in her bathroom & she called 911. so it turned out that it was POLICE who were knocking on our door at 2 am. supposedly, there was a shooting in our apartment complex (no one is injured). they saw that we have a Ring camera outside and wanted to see if we caught any footage. this is a reasonable thing to ask, of course. BUT WHY WOULD YOU KNOCK LOUDLY AND SHINE LIGHTS INSIDE AN APARTMENT AT 2 AM! they could've waited until the morning to stop by when people are usually awake. i have an anxiety disorder and the million of thoughts that ran through my head were telling me i was gonna die or worse. i wanna know if this is normal or if it's happened to anyone else. i'm still shaking.

Info I left out: my question was - is it normal to for police to knock & shine a light inside without identifying themselves? Why wouldn't they have said they're police when there was clearly no answer? The Ring camera doesn't work & if it did, a light would turn on & the bell makes a noise. It should've been clear the camera doesn't work. Again, I have an anxiety disorder which amplifies moments of normal worry. Please don't leave comments asking why I reacted that way. Thanks.

**** the police

• `

What did you want the police to do? Bust in using a battering ram?

• Sprague2 months agoReport

As I've been looking further into it, it IS normal for police to announce themselves. So you didn't have to be rude.

Maybe they wanted to start looking for the shooter as soon as possible and needed to see the video as soon as possible to look for information. Next time, see what they want, pansy!

• Sprague2 months agoReport

Is name calling really necessary. I was in a panic.

• james

So tell them NO. Unless they wish to buy the footage. Cops do nothing for you for free so why should they expect any thing from you for free? They don't want to pay tell them to go away.

evidence needs to be gathered immediately if they are to catch the perps who are probably in a car fleeing as soon as possible afterward

• keerok

They needed that footage right away so they know whom to look for. The culprit would be gone far far away by now.

As to why the loud knocks? How else would they wake you up? It was an emergency. Their only fault was that they didn't identify themselves properly so you wouldn't have gone through all that panic in the middle of the night.

I haven't experienced anything like that yet so I don't know if they knock but from where I am, the police would turn on their siren to announce their presence then shout through a loud speaker to get your attention.

• Sprague2 months agoReport

I understand they need the footage & am not complaining about that part of it. I'm upset that didn't announce themselves after knocking for so long. How would I know the difference between random men & police? I just don't understand if that's a normal protocol.

What is the question?

• Sprague2 months agoReport

Sorry, I didn't even ask it since I was coming out an anxiety attack at the time. But I wanted to know if this was a normal occurrence or if they should've identified themselves after knocking for so long with no response.

• TB12

The suspect may still be in the area, the sooner they can get a photo of him the sooner they can catch him,,, by tomorrow morning he'll be long gone.

I hope you're a girl.

Also, if you have a ring camera why didn't you check it to see who was at the door?

And if someone is shot in the night, waiting until the morning for you to naturally wake up gives the shooter plenty of time to get far away from the scene, change appearance or worse, shoot someone else in the meantime.

I'm sorry you were scared and if you're a girl I get why you didn't answer the door or have enough composure to check the camera footage. The cops should have rung the bell once and waited or shouted police so that you knew it was them.

Unless someone is shot everyday this is likely to be one of those rare encounters so don't worry.

• Sprague2 months agoReport

The camera doesn't work and it should've been obvious to them bc it lights up when working & makes noise when you ring it. We live in a gated apartment complex. Crime is very rare in my area. I just wanted to know if it was normal they didn't announce themselves after getting no apparent response.

Does time stand still where you are ?