what is the meaning of abstain?

Favorite Answer

offer no decision or opinion at all, even though you have that right and are expected to give one, or "do not act or do a thing". It is used mostly for voting, to say "I do not vote for any of the choices and do not give a different choice either; I make no choice at all". It is also used to declare that I never partake of such things, I never participate (I just say no when the option arises). Abstain from drugs, abstain from sex (do not do them at all, ever).

• John P

Not doing something - probably something which you might want to do, or possibly something forbidden by your religion.

stop......................

• RP

It means to not engage or participate in whatever is the subject of the abstinence.

refrain from -- usually used with regard to pleasurable activities that may be incur social opprobrium, such as drinking alcohol

• David

To 'abstain' means not to take part in an action one way or the other such as when taking a vote on a particular proposal.

To not take part in. Top not have or do a specific thing.