Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 10 months ago

my parents grounded me for 2 weeks because i got a B on my maths test instead of the A they always expect, was this fair?

also how to get out of it

no, thats ground, a B is a good grade, wonder what cps would say if you told them about it

• Lili

I don't think grounding for 2 weeks is all that unfair, ESPECIALLY if they have reason to believe that your grade slipped because you've been more involved in other, non-academic activities than in your studies.

Is that the case? If so, then staying home to catch up on maths is a good idea. You should do that anyway, no matter what's been going on in your life, given that you clearly are having some problem with maths.

Did you try your hardest? Is it possible that their own parents were this way when they were around the age you are now? In a quiet period take them back to their own younger days and how they felt when treated unkindly by their parents. Do this sincerely with genuine interest - probably best not during an argument. That said, it might perhaps be effective when emotions are high. It is usually better to ask questions than to say things. Here are some general suggestions I make to younger teens in case you might get some helpful ideas from them. Ask to have a serious discussion with your parents about how they see things panning out in the coming months and years. It needs to be fairly rational, so if one of you becomes too emotional (e.g. angry) it would be best to time out and try again another time. Prepare in advance what you would like to say and ask: write a plan, even.

As you reach each birthday, for example, or each new school year, what rights, freedoms and responsibilities will you have? Chores, pocket money, curfews, dating, etc. will all come into it, obviously. You can't really expect something for nothing, so think about what you can put into the family and household as part of your negotiations as to what you can get.

If you are to grow into a responsible adult, it must be a gradual process: if they keep you wrapped up in cotton wool and then suddenly let you out of the box at eighteen, you won't have enough experience to know how to handle it.

That said, your parent(s) is/are responsible for your safety and welfare during this time: no doubt they love you and they themselves have the experiences you don't yet. Seeing things on t.v. and hearing your friends' (exaggerated?) stories aren't quite the same.

If they don't want to do this, ask them if they will please consider a plan and talk again in a week or so. All plans need to be a little flexible, as unexpected things can happen, of course.

Hopefully this will show that you have a maturing attitude to your family and your life.

Good Luck!

• keerok

Fair or not, the law in your house is whatever your parents say. How to get out of it? You still don't understand it, right? Get an A. How hard can that be?

No. not fair .

Call the police.

• Chanel

No it is not fair. A B is a good grade.

No. You can't get out of it. I once got a C and I got into a lot of trouble. Although, my brother could get a D and not get in trouble. He scored higher than me on intelligence tests.