I have a dr appointment and just read not to have anything but water 8 hours before attending but i have accidentally had hot chocolate just?

my appointment is in 3 hours an it says to not have anything but water upto 8 hours before appointment but i forgot and just had a mug of hot chocolate does it matter? should i make myself sick? could it ruin my screening thanks.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Reschedule likely.

• 11 months ago

Call the office and tell them. it depends what you are being tested for, but chocolate will affect blood sugar and all sorts of things.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Call the doctor's office and ask. You might need to reschedule.

• 11 months ago

It could matter, and you should tell the doctor. As one example, if you are having a blood test, they might look at sugar content or similar measurements which are affected by recent consumption of food, so the odds become high that you will have an anomalously high value (and they could worry that you are diabetic, perhaps, or something else).

They tell you not to eat so you have background level concentrations in the blood or perhaps urine or whatever (to avoid the effects of eating, which will vary according to what and how much you eat and make interpretation of results way harder). I did the same thing recently (ate something out of habit in the morning), still did the tests but then the doctor had to take that into account when looking at the results, making the interpretation less reliable.

Obviously, if you just purged your system for some internal visual exam like a colonoscopy, or whatever, having food (even colored liquid) in there could be a problem as well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Honestly, liquids should clear out of your body in a couple of hours, so it shouldn't affect any test that needs to be done on an empty stomach.

• 11 months ago

Tell the nurses before they stick your finger that you had the hot chocolate and when. It could throw off your blood glucose reading, but if you are not diabetic or hypoglycemic (the opposite of diabetic) it may not make much of a difference. KEEP the appointment. DO NOT make yourself sick. That would be dumb. If the doctor want more detailed blood work done, they would fill out an order and send you to a lab to have a technician draw blood from a vein. Doctors appointments,are hard to get.

• 11 months ago

The hot chocolate has sugar in it. That can effect your blood sugar results since they want to have it in a fasting condition. But they also have criteria for non-fasting. So just tell them. And sometimes they tell your glucose level by urinalysis and not blood. So you many be able to go in another time and just give them a fasting urine sample.

• 11 months ago

Yes it matters. You need to call, explain, and make another appointment.

• 11 months ago

It might mess up your blood tests such as giving you a higher cholesterol level.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Just let them know that you are not fasting and they will arrange for you to come back and draw labs another time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.