promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Rightman asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 9 months ago

Will Brexit, if it happens, curb or prevent Brits claiming their state pension whilst living abroad?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Brexit would have no effect on this. It's nothing to do with the EU.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Sharon
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

legally it should have no effect, but anyone depending on what politicians decide to do must be feeble minded

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I think it should be frozen on the day we leave the EU if they reside in the EU. Despite what people say about paying into the "fund" people receive a lot more in pension than what they paid in if they live to say 75. The Winter Fuel Allowance should certainly not be paid to people living abroad.

There was a case in Australia where the pensioner emigrated from the UK then married a Filipino lady and she now receives part of his pension.Surely that can't be right.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

If it does, you would be amazed how many people 'live' in a friend or relative's spare room but spend a heck of a lot of time abroad in a 'holiday home.' 

There's already quite a few who do that so they are still registered on the NHS, a few more will be doing it.

Although how much the state pension will be worth of the pound collapses remains to be seen 😁

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

I hope not. That would seriously screw up some people's retirement plans.

• 9 months ago

ANOTHER UNKNOWN............................. And what pensions - State of Private? Things may be difficult with the State Pension, but Private pensions should be paid, regardless. Contact the source.

• ...Show all comments
    • griggle
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

@ Biff- he put 33 comment under my answer on the 'what' is the name of this bolt action rifle?' question.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I hope it will stop. If traitors choose to live abroad they should not reap the benefits that Britain provides.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Not at all. Many non-government banks in the UK are foreign-owned (eg Santander, HSBC) and operate internationally. Another fail for Project Fear.

• Nāga
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It's paid directly to the person, it shouldn't make any difference where they live.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

NO, we have Brits living all over the world not just in Europe and they can always claim their pension.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.