Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 2 months ago

Disability eligibility amount confusion anyone help me out please ?

I was helping my sister out according to social security website if she were to become disabled right now she would receive $450 a month. I know a guy who became disabled yet he receives $1500 why such a difference in benefit amount. We are assuming he had a higher paying job is our only guess.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

That could be because of the type of disability. It could also be based on how long either have worked.

• 2 months ago

That could be it. Also, how long did he work and pay into the Ponzi scheme? How severe is his disability?

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The severity of a person's condition has nothing to do with the benefit amount. A person is either approved for disability or they aren't.

A social security disability benefit is based upon how much someone paid into the social security system and the length of time - when they were working. High income=high benefit. Low income=low benefit. There are people who are paying social security taxes on earnings up to $132,700. Obviously they will receive more each month then someone who earned minimum wage. Right now the highest monthly benefit at full retirement age is close to $3000. People who put off collecting benefits until age 70 will have a benefit increase of 8% a year in their monthly benefit amount. You get out of social security what you put into it.

There is also the SSI program. SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income which is not a social security program even though managed by the Social Security Administration; it is a federal welfare program. The maximum monthly SSI benefit is $771 if a person is living in their own household or is paying their fair share of household expenses. It is $514 for people who are not living in their own household or who aren't paying their fair share of household expenses. Some states supplement the federal SSI benefit amount but most don't. Because SSI is a welfare program, any other income will reduce those benefit amounts. Also, resources of $2000 if single or $3000 if married will make a person ineligible for SSI.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • 2 months ago

Assuming both are permanently & totally disabled, and both have contributed to Social Security & Medicare for a minimum of 40 full calendar quarters, wages would be the major factor. However, if, at the time of applying for Social Security benefits, you have been out of work for more than a year or two, those years are averaged in at ZERO contributions, and that can severely reduce benefits.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Could be age, earning capacitor degree of disability.

• 2 months ago

It is a little bit sad that you are researching "what if" scenarios about becoming disabled. How about you live life and work as needed/wanted and if disability happens figure it out then. Sure, planning is good but to plan for you own disability seems a bit morbid.

• 2 months ago

The job wage would make a difference but so would the severity of the disability

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.