what is the meaning of abstain and refrain?

Favorite Answer

No, thank you. I do not want a serving of that ice cream sundae. I am trying to get back in shape and as such am abstaining from dessert. I will give it up, forgo it, do without.

I could easily come up with a pithy comeback to what you just said, but I don’t want my words to ever be hurtful so I’d rather refrain, desist. Keep myself in check, renounce, sit this one out.

My dog is barking furiously at a passing stranger. To avoid a confrontation I’m going to restrain him, control him, confine him, hem him in.

• RP

Abstain is to not engage or participate in whereas refrain is to pause or stop.

Abstain means voting neither yes nor no. Refrain means not voting at all.

I 'm frequently confused regarding two words : refrain and abstain. I understand that abstain has negative connotations as it conveys that something must be stopped. On the other hand, refrain carries a positive sense. I mean I have desire, however I am compelled to stop. Am I right? For instance.