I need some help with my business etiquette class. My book is not helping me whatsoever with these questions.?

2. At a social function, you meet the CEO of an important Japanese corporation. After a brief chat, you give him your business card. Is this correct? Why or why not?

3. You are at a business luncheon and a toast has been proposed in your honor. What is the appropriate response?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

You should certainly offer your card, but it's ESSENTIAL to hold it out to him with both hands, not casually hand it to him with one hand. You should also bow your head very slightly at the same time.

And when he gives you HIS card, you take it with both hands, and - this is really important - you don't just tuck it away, you keep on holding it with both hands while you actually READ it (not aloud).

It shows respect for him and his position when you read the details.

As for the toast, it's quite shocking how few people understand that if someone proposes a toast to you, YOU do NOT join in. You stay seated and look modest, and you do NOT drink to yourself.

• 10 months ago

i dont see anything wrong with giving him your business card

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • `
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

I found a website on Japanese etiquette easily. Carry your business cards in a nice case. Make sure your cards aren't frayed or torn. In Japanese culture, a frayed card can be interpreted as the giver isn't really interested in doing business. If you receive a card, say "thank you" and slightly bow.

• 10 months ago

In the US it would be inappropriate to present business cards at a sticky social event.

AS far as a toast is concerned to raise ones glass to the presented and a quiet thank you would be appropriate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

I googled this, and came up with videos on how to properly give someone your business card... They are listed below.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8UgykfUbw

Youtube thumbnail

---------------- and -------------------- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlbiTNFPwE

Youtube thumbnail

• 10 months ago

2) Important to understand and acknowledge different cultures when working in the business/corporate world. Handshakes and eye contact are not always appropriate, so always essential to know your client's background before the meeting. 3) Depends on the purpose of the business luncheon and what is being achieved by bringing business people together. What is the overall aim? Can also depend on who is supporting/sponsoring/hosting the luncheon and your direct or indirect involvement within that framework.

• 10 months ago

2. give him a sushi roll instead people like that like that shiit

3. Depends how much you have drunk beforehand. Try the "Elephant" as a visual response. Always looks good in business attire

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.