Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

I think I’m hallucinating, how can I tell and what can cause this?

I keep thinking I hear movement in or around my home, I’m not hearing voices or having visual hallucinations but it just sounds like there’s movement and I’m the only one that seems to notice these subtle sounds. I’ve never had anything like this before, and it only started since I woke from a nap roughly 2 hours ago. I’m not a drug user and I haven’t had alcohol in over a month. I’m not diagnosed with anything that would cause hallucinations, I don’t take any meds and haven’t even had anything over the counter in over 4 months. I can’t tell if this is hallucinating, I keep hearing movement outside like someone walking through grass, I check nothings there, I hear creaky floorboards, nothing there to create that sound, a sound like someone’s rustling through stuff in another room like if someone was going through a junk drawer. I’m not feeling paranoid and I don’t believe it’s anything paranormal.. I’m looking for another opinion if this is a hallucination and what may cause it..

Well, if you hear it and it is not there it is a hallucination. The clinical term is psychosis. If you think it may be there possibly you are a psychic. Keep in mind though just because you are not diagnosed with anything is pretty irrelevant. People don't find out about most things until they have symptoms like this.

If you really want to rule out mental illness. The second most common cause of hallucinations ( paracusia - the kind you are describing) is damage from tumors or issues with the brain stem. A neurologist would tell you with 99% accuracy after a 90 minute test (MRI).

I do not really believe in ghosts either. But you know what if they are real they really don't care if you believe in them, your lack of belief does not impact their existence. I am a strong believer some people are psychic though and point to quantum science and numerous other things to prove how it is real. It is as reasonable as belief in "the theory" of gravity.

You do not have to be paranoid to have psychosis - you paranoid? My ears ring always tinnitus.....

Possibly someone is coming to kill you. There really are only a few dozen possibilities. If you research (yahoo/google) these you should figure it out then get proper medical testing.

There is no such thing as a hallucination.

Hallucinations are sensory experiences that appear real but are created by your mind. They can affect all five of your senses. For example, you might hear a voice that no one else in the room can hear or see an image that isn’t real.