promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Transmission fluid change?

2011 Chevy. After a fluid change, does the newer cars have to adapt to the change of new fluid? It seems like my car isn't shifting right. Not always. I had a shift flare two times in a row then it didn't do it at all. The fluid was just changed yesterday. The dealer said that the fluid needed to be changed and said it wasn't burnt so I had it done. Thoughts?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Here's why they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Pull the OBD2 codes and see if any come up P07xx, signifying transmission problems. No code...keep watch on it. Malibus have been prone to shift solenoid failures.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

How many miles on the car? What made you decide to go have the tranny serviced/ most people wait until something is wrong to change their ATF and by then it's too late.

Shift flare can be taken care of with a PCM "reflash" and you need to check if there is a tsb about a reflash being available. If it's not shift flare and it's the tranny slipping changing the ATF would not help.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • bo
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

no they don't need to adapt to fluid. but if you were having a problem before and thought the fluid change was going to take care of the problem then it wasn't going to help. all the fluid change is for is a maintenance not to take care of any internal transmission problem

Source(s): transmission man
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I would take it back there. It should shift correctly after a fluid change.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.