Transmission fluid change?

2011 Chevy. After a fluid change, does the newer cars have to adapt to the change of new fluid? It seems like my car isn't shifting right. Not always. I had a shift flare two times in a row then it didn't do it at all. The fluid was just changed yesterday. The dealer said that the fluid needed to be changed and said it wasn't burnt so I had it done. Thoughts?

Here's why they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Pull the OBD2 codes and see if any come up P07xx, signifying transmission problems. No code...keep watch on it. Malibus have been prone to shift solenoid failures.

How many miles on the car? What made you decide to go have the tranny serviced/ most people wait until something is wrong to change their ATF and by then it's too late.

Shift flare can be taken care of with a PCM "reflash" and you need to check if there is a tsb about a reflash being available. If it's not shift flare and it's the tranny slipping changing the ATF would not help.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • bo

no they don't need to adapt to fluid. but if you were having a problem before and thought the fluid change was going to take care of the problem then it wasn't going to help. all the fluid change is for is a maintenance not to take care of any internal transmission problem

Source(s): transmission man
  • Erik

I would take it back there. It should shift correctly after a fluid change.