How do I become a paralegal?

I am currently in college working towards getting my bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. Once I've received my degree, do I have to attend further schooling or a different type of school in order to become a paralegal? What steps do I have to take from there? Please and thanks. :-)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

After graduation, enter a 2-year ABA-certified paralegal training program. Many community colleges offer it. Law firms & corporations hiring paralegals rarely consider applicants without a bachelor's degree anymore. It's an excellent idea to take English Composition class as they want people with excellent language skills, especially writing skills. Perfect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc, is expected in all your written work, and paralegals have to draft a wide array of documents: correspondence, briefs, case summaries, deposition summaries, reports, petitions, court documents.

In addition to your bachelor's degree, then earn paralegal certification from an ABA-certified 2-year program, generally available at many community colleges.

• ...Show all comments
    • The Squirrel
      Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

I know this because I work at a law firm, as a paralegal, who was promoted from unpaid intern to legal secretary to paralegal within one year, and I just started my senior year of college so do not yet have my bachelors. I've heard many stories like that at all the firms I've worked with.

• MS
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

To become a certified paralegal, you would need to take some necessary courses, which are usually offered at community colleges. Some 4-year schools do offer a bachelor's degree in paralegal studies; that might earn you more money, or you might get passed over for someone with an associate's degree who they can pay less. More and more employers are expecting their paralegals to be certified.

• 5 months ago

A,different type of school. Either a business school or a vocational technical school. You do NOT need a bachelors degree to become a paralegal.

• ...Show all comments
    • ibu guru
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Some small firms may "promote" a legal secretary with extensive experience + bachelor's degree to non-certified paralegal work. But it is difficult to find another job elsewhere as non-certified paralegal.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.