promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do the electives you take in highschool really matter in your transcript?

If I did a lot of art electives, but decide to go to a different route instead (something other than art) will the electives I chose in highschool matter to the university/college I’ll go to? Or do they only care about the grades I got in the core subjects.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Beyond making sure that you take electives such as foreign language that are often required for college admission, it really doesn't matter all that much.  Electives are a chance to dabble in subjects that seem interesting and or pursue a passion.  

The more selective the university, the more scrutiny they will give your elective choices.  If you've filled you schedule with regular courses (not honors, AP, or IB) and taken a lot of non-academic electives, they may consider that less appealing than a student who either took more demanding standard classes and or more academically rigorous electives.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • MS
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Unless you're applying to a highly selective school, they won't care much (or at all) about the electives you chose. If you're applying for merit scholarships, then that might play a role in those decisions - they would likely choose someone who challenged themselves a bit more.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Electives are mainly classes to make school easier on you while also giving you more experience and education learning in things you like. No it does not matter that much. The reason counselors and principals do this is so certain classes won’t be overcrowded. So instead of putting you in a art class everyone wants to be in you know foods would look better on your transcript for some reason or another.

• 9 months ago

They certainly aren't critical but play a role. Sure, if you want to go into engineering and it is between you and someone who took engineering class, AP sciences, etc them you may be at a disadvantage. But schools also like diversity.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Honestly, everyone blows the college thing out of proportion so much. In my opinion, no, your electives aren't that crucial that it will make or break your entry to college (in most cases). As long as you have good attendance, good grades, extra curriculars, an acceptable SAT/ACT score... You will survive. Good luck!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.