Any endocrine ppl out there? Pituitary tumor and solid 1.8cm nodule in thyroid plus more?

I’m 21yr old female, I was born with a Chiari Malformation type 1 which caused my Syringomyelia (syrinx in my upper thoracic region). I was diagnosed with a deviated septum and had surgery to correct it at 17yrs old. During cat scan they found a pituitary adenoma. Which is thought to be non functioning but now i have hyperthyroidism of some kind (mild). Today they took an ultrasound of my thyroid and a head MRI. The ultrasound revealed a solid isoechoic nodule (1.8cm and on my right thyroid globe, causing my right globe to be very larger then the left) they also saw a 5mm hypoechoic nodule in my isthmus. Nothing on left side. My lymphnodes have been swollen continuously for 2 years at least. They want to do a fine-needle biopsy (aspiration). What’s the likelyhood it’s cancer?

Are you concerned that the thyroid nodule is cancerous? I know how hard it is to wait, but unfortunately only the FNA results will be able to tell you that. The vast majority of people who have a pit adenoma are asymptomatic and never know they have one. I have all the things you mentioned, my thyroid nodule was benign when first discovered in 2016 and biopsied in the same manner. I have it rechecked annually via u/s for growth/changes and so far, so good! Based on a variety of symptoms, I underwent further testing after my pit adenoma was discovered and *long story - fast forward* I have a rare, genetically inherited disease, called MEN-1 (Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia - Type 1). Known as the three P's disease, if affects the Pituitary gland, the Parathyroid glands, (they have no relation to your thyroid, other than location as there are four of them and they surround the thyroid), and finally, the Pancreas. I'm not telling you this to scare you, or make you think you might have it...just sharing what my personal Endocrine problems are! My nodes are also swollen, but mine are everywhere...neck, underarms and groin, as seen on imaging via CT and MRI. These can be reactive due to just about any inflammatory process in the body and are seldom due to cancer. Some examples are: sinus infections, tonsillitis, mono, strep throat, the flu, and even the common cold. Since yours seem to be chronic in nature being that you said for 2+ years, I would tend to think AI disease is the cause of yours, making them most likely reactive lymph nodes as mentioned, and your hyperthyroidism can absolutely contribute. Also worthy to note is that having one auto-immune disease makes you very prone to having more... I have Lupus, Hyperthyroidism, and MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease - a major inflammatory condition, especially in my joints) and my daughter who is a year old than you are, has the opposite with her thyroid - HYPOthyroidism which is Hashimotos Disease and she also has PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). All of these can cause your nodes to swell in response to inflammation as they are alerted to it and kick into high gear in defense of your body. If you don't already see specialists for your illnesses, I would highly encourage you to seek a Rheumatologist and an Endocrinologist, as they are by far the best physicians to treat you with the latest, greatest meds to control that inflammation which causes pain in many people and stop if from advancing. In the meantime, try not to google everything as most of what you'll find is worst case scenario and will just scare the heck out of you! If you do want to search online, stick with trusted medical sites such as Mayo.com or Johns Hopkins, the Cleveland Clinic....or go straight to websites dedicated to the disease/condition itself. Pretty much any site that ends in .org is trustworthy. I wish you the best!!

• Harris10 months agoReport

Thank you!! My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and I’ve been tested for lupus many times bc i have the buttery fly rash. Every time the lupus test has come back negative but it’s been a year or so since last tested. I have very painful joints especially in my knees (maybe connective tissue!!??)