jd4640
jd4640 asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 9 months ago

Can I ever find friendship?

I love my wife and enjoy the conversations we have, but I have no male friends and find myself wanting "guy" conversation.

I live in the rural south, (where I have lived my entire life and which I love) where every conversation is pretty much confined to 4 subjects: hunting, football, God and the weather. My problem is that I don't like hunting or sports, I'm agnostic and you can only talk about the weather for so long.

haha bud i’m sorry. i’m sure there will be guys you find who are interested in the same things you are! How about at your work? I think a thing that’s important to remember is, talk to EVERYONE. talk to the weird lonely guy in the corner, talk to the coffee guy, talk to the man who seems to have no friends. Sounds so cliche, but honestly don’t judge a book by its cover. So many of my closest friends have been people I randomly started conversations with and people who didn’t fit in with crowd. good luck!

• jd4640

Thanks, that's actually some pretty good advise.

• I care

A brother or in-law brother could take in a game sometime. Also ask dad if he is still around.

One has to make the effort to produce friends......wishing you the best.....

Or old school friends or buddies......

Figure out what you do like and seek likeminded guys. Into gaming? There are sites to meet people into that. Like cooking? Take a cooking class. Etc. Instead of seeking people based just on gender find groups that enjoy your interests and in almost any of them there'll be a few guys you can befriend. Chances are also likely your wife's female friends have boyfriends or husbands. Surely at some some of them interests outside the ones you cite.

• mayona

start finding out your child hood friends, may be you are lucky to find out one who still remembers the good old school days.

The most satisfying friendships are those made in church serving God. Just say’n.

Try getting into other activities that guys will be at, that you might be interested in. Flea market (popular in the rural south still? it is up here where I live). Just don't join something that requires you to say a dumb secret oath you won't really believe in or that makes you feel "less than" or encourage you to be someone else.

• Brian

You love the place your from and thats no bad thing but maybe its kind of restricting you in terms of friendship.I'm from Scotland where the number 1 sport is football (soccer in your language), 99.9% of guys here have a great interest in football, i only watch football during the world cup which is every couple of years or so, this has always made me feel like an outsider. Weather is a topic of small talk here too, hunting is a minority interest here, and religion yes religious bigotry between catholics and protestants which is tied in with good old football teams (Celtic vs Rangers).I have been fortunte to enjoyed great short term friendships travelling around Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America but find long term friendships to be hard work, i sometimes wish i had 1 great buddy to relay on, i guess i do really (my family), i get my social fix mosty at work now but dont have a great desire to spend time with co workers outside of work, even though i like them as work mates.If you really want a good friend i guess a common interest is the start, you might be surprised to find some people locally share your interests, if not you have to look further a field.

• Alan H

Join some local organisation. eg Rotary

Then it's time to join other activities that might help you to connect with other type of people.

Talk about God. He is the most important of them all. He is love. He holds our eternity in His hands. After we die we will be judged by Him. He also decides when we take our last breath.

Isaiah 45

5 I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else.

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Ecclesiastes 12

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil