Jenny
Jenny asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 10 months ago

Why does virtually everything I read anymore use she as the generic third person singular pronoun?

When I was a kid, he was the convention and in the name of equality, now, the pendulum has swung completely in the other direction.

Here's one example.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/286107-protein-...

And don't say that's just one. I'm not going to cite a bunch of sources and it just is plain true.

This is in addition to girls in movies as generally presented as stronger kinder, more I intelligent than the boys.

As a mother of both a son and daughter, I feel the world is now slanted against boys and I'm far from alone in noticing this.

The best argument I get when I bring up this topic is denial or ad hominem attacks.

It was men who decided that "he" was the generic pronoun. Research showed that people did not interpret that as either men or women, but only as men. Writers now either make everything plural or write he/she or alternate using "he" and "she". Movie producers, meanwhile, found out that there was money to be had in movies about female characters like "Frozen". It doesn't really change the fact that most movies have more male characters than female, or that most super heroes are male. And men still occupy most of the positions on boards of directors, most of the position in Congress and the Senate, and most of the good jobs. The world is not slanted against men.

To people with privilege, equality feels like oppression.

• Jenny

Disney has had a heroine since the beginning. Frozen is hardly new. Tangled, Mulan, Cinderella, snow white, pocahontas.

Political correctness. They have to use a male, female, black person, asian, LGBTQ whatever so no one gets offended