promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous

Why did the West end up being Enlightened and prosperous?

Correct me if I’m wrong. From what I have observed if you look at the whole world it seems as though Westerners (US, Canada, Europe, Australia, Russia) have a more enlightened culture than Asians and Africans.

Western culture is based on Reason/logic. Values science more and individual freedom whereas Asians and Africans do not. Many Asians and African cultures are religious and based on superstition.

Not only this but Westerners have dominated in Technological and Scientific innovation. They are also the richest with most of the world’s GDP coming from Western nations.

So why is this? Why did Westerners end up being ahead and others are behind?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

The West is richer than other parts of the world because the West went to those other places and employed force and guile in order to seize the benefit of the resources in those other places. In some locations, the West established permanent control over those places by carrying out genocide and war to clear or subjugate the non-Westerners who previously lived there. The West's prosperity AND it's science is built on this.

The Enlightenment was a great thing for Europe, but even so it is limited and flawed, since it never allowed the West to become enlightened enough to understand that their riches have been harvested by centuries of inhuman practices.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

That's what they want you to think. Each and every culture is unique, important and beautiful

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

@anonymous. Please give me some examples of ways Japan is technologically more advanced than the US and Canada.

Also you may be right about a lot of that however Russia is still more powerful than those East Asian countries. All Western countries combined far outweigh GDP compared to the Eastern Asian countries.

Also most of the recent scientific and technological innovation has been by Westerners.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I will correct you since you are wrong.

russia is poorer and more backward than Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

much of Eastern Europe like Bulgaria, Bosnia, Serbia, Romania, Belarus etc. are still developing and poorer than some non-europeaan nations

eastern europeans are physically white as show despite some of their nations being underdeveloped

east asia has the highest amounts of non religious folks than any part of the world mostly from china and Japan

also you fail to see some of technological advances that Japan has that the u.s.a and canada is behind in

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.