Is scamming becoming an accepted practice - an actual industry?

Just this past month: My debit card number was hacked and people in Africa bought airplane tickets with it. The bank refunded the money and secured my account but they still got their airplane tickets. An older gentleman I know got taken for several thousand by a guy telling him that would be arrested for some... show more Just this past month:

My debit card number was hacked and people in Africa bought airplane tickets with it. The bank refunded the money and secured my account but they still got their airplane tickets.

An older gentleman I know got taken for several thousand by a guy telling him that would be arrested for some old traffic ticket. They got his personal info too - SS# - identity theft.

A pair of grifters got paid tens of thousands of dollars for medical and pain and suffering by my car insurance company after they gently tapped my wife's stopped car with theirs, jumped out and began screaming in pain.

My elderly, mentally-challenged aunt got scammed out of her life savings ($15,000) by a guy who called up her (landline) phone and said he was with the Social Security Administration.

This is not to mention the hundreds of scam calls that I get on a daily basis as well as emails (which I block) and actual paper scam mail.

This problem is getting worse, not better. Soon, there will be listings of scam companies on the stock exchange.