Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 months ago

Why do people talk down to us as we age? Like once we’re 55+ we are idiots! I’m under 55 & get talked to as an idiot/child by people?

How to respond?

Any age people can be condeccending or rude or sarcastic..

Example 75 yr old in a store? “Can I HELP you?” usuing rude tone

Condescending.. error..

• edward

My job used to rely heavily on patient care, opening line was usually “hello! How can i help you today?” *smile and stare till they give me a response*

People can hear you smile, smiling can be seen from far away but people can hear it from close by when you talk to them

Most people treat their elders with respect, and would never talk down to them. Maybe it's just you?

I find alot of very old people look lost. Most people have a direct plan for the day. That's why they are out doing stuff. I see old folks just standing there looking dazed. One guy at my gym kinda leans on this with his radio, then leans on that, never doing anything but hiding from his wife. Anyone just standing around anywhere but a park looks suspicious. Old folks seem to be more likely to do it randomly in public. They think they earned the right to just stand there. Um, can I help you with something, sir?

cause some people are rude, thats why

• A.J.

I'm seeing everyone sees everyone else as a feeble idiot. And, it's a growing trend. At the same time, from what I see in politics and society in general, people are rather stupid as an overall trend.

I think there are a lot of reasons for it.

Part of it is patterns. The more you meet a certain way the more you think everybody with a similar appearance has the same traits.