Jersey asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

Ashamed to go to the doctor for bowel issues. What should I do?

I'm a 28 yo guy and I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I exercise, I have hobbies, I have done 3 years of therapy, I have done meds...nothing can even help me to manage it. It's something that I'll have to deal with until the day I die.

Apart from mental suffiering, my anxiety has always expressed itself in a number of different physical symptoms, namely headaches, breathing difficulties, nausea and gastrointestinal issues. These are not really symptoms of real diseases but merely ramifications of the anxiety.

The bowel issues are giving me more trouble than usual lately. My bowel movements are totally chaotic. I'll have a few days when poop is solid and comes out cleanly and then it gets more liquid (but not like diarrhea) with loads of mucus. It comes to point where I'll go 3 or 4 times in a row because it seems like it's never properly "finished".

Sometimes I'll get paranoid and will look for a toilet the moment I arrive in a certain place. I have given up foods that I know don't go down too well with my systems, like dairy and pork meat.

This is getting so frequent that I'm afraid in this case the cause will not be the anxiety. The problem is that I would be totally ashamed of not only having to tell this to a doctor in detail but also terrified about the sort of exams I might have to do.

Is there anything that can help?

P.S. I don't smoke and have not drank alcohol for the past 2 years.

You have IBS which is common in people with anxiety disorders. I don't know if Buscopan is an over the counter medicine in your country but it really helps with cramping and loose stool resulting from IBS. You can download an app on your phone to help you find the nearest toilet wherever you are. Please speak to your doctor. They can't do any medical examinations without your consent and your symptoms wouldn't warrant a rectal examination. Doctors in the USA seem obsessed with colonoscopies so there's no guarantee it wouldn't be suggested but you can simply refuse.

Eat more leaf green veggies like spinich, musturd greens, collard greens etc. All high in iron so yours turds will come out like gym weights. lol!

i would go if you need their help

Never be ashamed to see the Doc. They are there to help, not judge.