Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 9 months ago

Have you ever had a biopsy on your cervix?

When I found out I was pregnant I had an abnormal Pap smear. My doctor did it twice and it came back abnormal. I had my daughter vaginally and during my pregnancy she said she thought the bad cells would wash away during birth.

I went today for my postpartum appointment and she did a biopsy. I’m scared because my daughter only has me and I’m trying to think positive but it’s hard thinking I might have to leave my baby girl.

Have you had this before? Any tips? Is HPV treatable if that’s what I have

• Pippin

Relax. Abnormal paps are very common, and if your doctor somehow thought the bad cells would 'wash away' during labor ... whatever that means .... it clearly was NOT seriously abnormal. (Normal changes in the cervix during pregnancy can cause abnormal paps, but that doesn't mean they 'wash away' ... it just means your cervix returns to normal.)

If your early paps showed signs of cancer or very advanced dysplasia, she would NOT have waited almost a year to test again. And mild abnormalities do not turn into metastatic cancer in such a short time.

Now, the doctor should have told you what abnormalities WERE found and why she was doing the biopsy -- but it doesn't mean you have cancer, and certainly doesn't mean you are going to die.

I don't have a cervix so no.

Several.

I needed a hysterectomy.

Not everyone does.

Good luck

Crapping on the railroad