promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

Difficulty getting an attorney? What can i do if I tried to get an attorney for a Civil lawsuit case in the US, but the ones I have?

contacted stated that they would not take the case, because it is too little money for them to work for. What would you do then? i know I need help. If it matters it is in county of Atlanta georgia, a small claims case. HELP.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It's pretty unusual to show up in small claims court with a lawyer. This is usually something you can just handle yourself. It's highly likely your opponent won't have any legal counsel either.

• CORRECTION: IT IS NOT A SMALL CLAIMS CASE. SO CAN YOU RE-ADVISE?  THANKS.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Keep trying or represent yourself.

• 9 months ago

How much are you wanting to sue for? If it is that small an amount, then why would you hire a lawyer at $350 or more an hour? Don't you realize that to open a file on someone, review the case and write the complaint - all that is probably going to cost you more than what you are owed. To file the case will cost you about $125 and to serve the lawsuit will cost you probably about $150. Those are costs, not even lawyer's fees yet.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • 9 months ago

You shouldn't need an attorney for a small claims case. You should be able to do it yourself without one.

• babyboomer1001
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Some Small Claims Courts require legal representation.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

the ones I have contacted stated that they would not take the case

Translation: You DON'T HAVE a case. The attorneys don't want to WASTE time on a case you CAN'T win.

• Eva
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

Try legal aid, or learn to do it yourself. You usually don't use an attorney in small claims court.

• CORRECTION: IT IS NOT A SMALL CLAIMS CASE. SO CAN YOU RE-ADVISE? THANKS.

• 9 months ago

In some cases, attorneys are not even permitted in small claims court. What you can do, is put your case together. Hire an attorney and pay him a fee up front to review your case and tell you how to present it.

• 9 months ago

attorney isn't needed in small claims court

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.